This is it gentlemen! Batten down the hatches!! Big moves ahead

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bond_trad3r, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Since the banking crisis, it has become quit clear Canada is a pocket of strength in world banking. The $CDN reflects that reality. What I am clearly telling you is if the $US improves you might very well find that shorting the $CDN at the same time makes it a flat to losing trade. So what would be the point ?

What you are saying is there is going to be a massive panic whereby people holding $CDN are going to get scared and sell them in favour of $US ? Please, it makes zero sense for this year
    ( omg omg I have $CDN and Canada's in a shambles ... wow ... please someone take this paper off my hands; I need some of that scarce $US that is in short supply ).:D

#11     Feb 21, 2011
  2. US and Canadian Markets are closed today, guys. Tomorrow, when they are open, Short CAD, Long USD. Americans will be playing catch-up. This is USD bullish.

"( omg omg I have $CDN and Canada's in a shambles ... wow ... please someone take this paper off my hands; I need some of that scarce $US that is in short supply ). "

Actually, it is the Americans who panic, and sell their international shares. This increases demand for US dollars. The US may be in trouble, but it is still the largest market on the planet.

#12     Feb 21, 2011
  3. Precisely! They don't call the CAD the "petrodollar" for nothing. Turmoil in Egypt = oil supply disruption.

#13     Feb 21, 2011
  4. If the Middle East "Caldera" truly erupts, there will be massive rush back to the US dollar. Actually, because oil is priced in US dollars, this will put a drag on the price of oil. Again, you saw this during the last "real" crisis.

#14     Feb 21, 2011
  5. Well, there's no rush right now. Does that surprise you?

#15     Feb 21, 2011
  6. Tomorrow, I bet that you will see an early trading day surge on the TSX, followed by a flat to lower day when the price of oil settles back down again. The Canadian dollar will be down, and the US dollar will be up by the end of the day.

I don't count today. It is a holiday. President's Day/Family Day.

#16     Feb 21, 2011
  7. Larson

Larson Guest

Supply shortages, if they materialize, will render US dollar link to oil irrelevant. The price will blast through $150/bbl. so fast your head will spin and eyeballs pop out of your head.

#17     Feb 21, 2011
  8. At first. However, stock markets will also crash. There will be a rush into cash. This will drive the USD up. The rise in the USD will be a much faster rise than any benefit Canada might get from an increased price of oil. There will be panic in Canada as well, collapsing our stock markets. All of this fear will be CAD bearish, not bullish.

#18     Feb 21, 2011
  9. benwm

benwm

War is inflationary. More debt, more money printing, more government spending on missiles and defence, good for many companies, bad for individuals.

So in fiat money terms you might see stocks rise.

#19     Feb 21, 2011
  10. Historically Post war do countries ever really settle their debt?
    Winner reaps rewards lording over the defeated who are left in ruin.

#20     Feb 21, 2011