This is how to make money trading instead of using TA

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Xspurt, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Daring

Daring

Short green weeks/months in IPOs by buying PUTS, no TA required, just patience and money management.

#11     Sep 1, 2012
  2. ... somehow, dunno why, perhaps it's a gut reaction but I'm not convinced so far ;)

#12     Sep 1, 2012
  3. Once you have a number of trades, executed on whatever basis, aren't you using statistics when you pick and choose among your future trade opportunities?

In other words, is it any different to say "I see a pattern that has a 55% chance of reaching a certain target price" than it is to say "There is a 55% chance that the spread on these two items in a pair will reach X before it reaches Y"?

Ultimately, there is no "sure thing" in trading and once you leave the realm of "sure things", you inevitably enter the realm of probability and statistics.

#13     Sep 1, 2012
  4. Daring

Daring

I was referring to using statistical studies on price instead of TA.

#14     Sep 1, 2012
  5. Right, I know that. But, what I'm saying is that, in the final analysis, even TA is itself a "statistical study", just with a different data set being studied.

#15     Sep 1, 2012
  6. Daring

Daring

Ya had a feeling it would be considered TA as well.

#16     Sep 1, 2012
  7. Some will disagree with me about that, but it seems to me that we are all trying to do the same thing, which is to put the odds in our favor.

The way in which we do so will differ, but people always differ. It's what makes a market.

I will say, though, that I have often wondered to what extent a specific methodology or approach to the market drives the likelihood of success.

The problem is that there are no studies I know of that break down profitable traders in this way, so we don't know if a higher percentage of traders calling themselves "statistical traders" are profitable vs. "technical traders" vs. "price action traders" vs. "fundamentals traders".

Unless we can get that data, there is little point in arguing that one of those approaches is better than any other.

#17     Sep 1, 2012
  8. agreed.
    I'm well aware of statistics as a way of formulating trade ideas and entries, but, to me, that is really just TA. Brings us back to where we were.

So, come on non TA'ers....put some meat on the bone.

#18     Sep 1, 2012
  9. Devise a mathematical system based on price movements, momentum ,direction and breakdown with betting sequences.:confused:

Don't need to look at charts , just trade using price and fills.

All the genuises on Elite can remain here and figure it out.:)

#19     Sep 1, 2012
  10. Sounds a lot more vague and questionable than TA. Any evidence such an animal exists in our zoo? ;)

#20     Sep 2, 2012