THIS IS B/S! Why does this keep happening to me?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by antincedo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mxjones

mxjones

A few questions to spur some thoughts and analysis:

1.) Do you have specific setups you trade?
    2.) When you look at your failed morning trades, are the setups not working or are you breaking your discipline and trading outside your setups?
    3.) Do you watch the morning news, CNBC? If so, do you think it influences how you trade the morning...ie, rather than trading what you know works are you now looking at the market with a bias (from what you hear on CNBC, read on the Net, et cetera)?

#11     Sep 23, 2008
  2. Watch the morning and sit on your hands and see what happens. Lately the morning gap and runs have faded fast and a stronger trend has appeared after lunch. So use the morning to learn and maybe it is just temporary.

#12     Sep 23, 2008
  3. Don't worry, soon enuff you will be loosing 10k in the morning.

#13     Sep 23, 2008
  4. FINE! NO MORE MORNING TRADING! see what happens. thanks to everybody for the input!

#14     Sep 23, 2008
  5. it would prob take an act of god to loose 10k. my loss tolerance is around .5%

#15     Sep 23, 2008
  6. you make money in the afternoon bec. lately we just have sell offs. No one knows where the markets are heading and the overall trend is down.
    so like today expect to go short in the last hour unless ofcourse the trend changes
    The mornings are more choppier

#16     Sep 24, 2008
  7. Morning Trading is Volatile Trading. Unless you have methods of trading that only last around 10-15 minutes during the morning you will fail miserably.

#17     Sep 24, 2008
  8. ninety

ninety

Anticendo, you made 1k ... that's great ... congrats! ... but on what base? Can you share your account size? It will be useful to all ETers if we have a reference. Thanks.

#18     Sep 24, 2008

9. showing up!

and by showing up, you're not changing up

change up to current market conditions,

take time off and test every possible new indicator you can find, whether paid, free, created or combined...

go over a recent period and see whether it gives you an edge

then focus on that edge, not forever, just for the time being

until you turn things around

#19     Nov 11, 2008
  10. ah yes, i was actually able to solve this problem.

my strategy at that time didnt have enough limits. i was overtrading like a crazed beast and not holding onto my winners long enough. now i impose rules on myself that i do not break.

#20     Nov 11, 2008