This crisis means the end of bullsh*t college and university degrees?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Jun 21, 2010.

1. I provide for a lot of people.

#31     Jun 22, 2010
  2. so your assumption is that universities provide education, you are narrow minded and naive

#32     Jun 23, 2010
  3. But we aren't talking about you, are we? I know that it breaks your little heart that we aren't talking about you or one of your topics, and you will do anything to steer the conversation that way, but nobody cares.

The fact is that you made a false statement, and it was corrected. MORE work is required now for survival than in previous decades and generations where one uneducated adult could work a 40 hour week and make a living for a family. Female typically stayed home, etc.

#33     Jun 23, 2010
  4. Suggest becoming a PA... Physician's Assistant. 3-year Master's degree, but starting salary $60,000-$120,000. Highest paid PA in wife's group is $200,000.

#34     Jun 23, 2010
  5. Really?

Care to elaborate?

Cheers,
    Max

#35     Jun 23, 2010
  6. Has no one caught on yet that garcia only starts these threads to create arguments . . . then leaves.

#36     Jun 23, 2010
  7. Strictly speaking, there is no logical inference involved in my post. I make a statement of fact ("I've never seen any sign...."), and that's all. So I'm not sure I understand your point.

Are you saying that it is illogical to infer from my experience of certain people to the conclusion that they are not interested only in keeping up enrollment; and that they the reason it is illogical is that government payment of tuition keeps these people from showing that their sole interest is in keeping up the enrollment?

If so, then I would reply, first, that my statement may be false, but I cannot see any error in the logic. Second, the post to which I was replying contains an universal quantifier that almost certainly makes it factually incorrect. That was my (logical) point, though I think that some reflection about this would naturally lead to the view that it dangerous to make facile judgments about very complicated issues.

#37     Jun 23, 2010
  8. How on earth can you get from my statement that it is narrow minded to value education solely by calculating economic return to the conclusion that I assume that universities provide education?

I do in fact believe that most universities provide an education. I also believe that most students don't get a hell of a lot out of it. But those beliefs have nothing to do with my post.

#38     Jun 23, 2010
  9. Think of student as a career. My daughter is an almost PHD. She makes more by teaching(the same courses as professors, but paid much less.), mentoring, & stipends from her grants than most jobs now pay.

#39     Jun 23, 2010
  10. Trade schools will be making a huge come back.

Anybody remember BOCES programs? We had them in NY...and the kids that attended were ridiculed. Now they are all Plumbers, electricians, welders and mechanics. Not job guaranteed. But fully portable trades.

Self sufficiency first, higher education later. Thats what i`m teaching my kids.

#40     Jun 23, 2010