This crisis means the end of bullsh*t college and university degrees?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Jun 21, 2010.

1. You fail to note that university enrollment is higher than it has ever been. Universities with formerly open enrollment are now actually turning prospective students away. Tuition rates are going right on up as well, but the demand appears to be inelastic.

#21     Jun 22, 2010
  2. I'll take it a step further and say that anyone not going into engineering or medicine is wasting their time.

Every single kind of literature? Dead
    Women's/ethnic studies? Was that ever alive?
    Music/Art/History: Died thirty years ago
    Finance? Dead
    Accounting? Dead
    Business administration? Dead
    Education? Dead
    Criminal justice? Dead
    Law degree? Piece of paper
    MBA? Kindling to keep your house warm.

Today's students going through the grinder don't recognize this. They are piling on debt and hoping to find that elusive $40,000/year job after graduation.

It's not out there.

#22     Jun 22, 2010
  3. I know plenty of unemployed engineers!

#23     Jun 22, 2010
  4. aegis

aegis

Accounting isn't dead. There are far more jobs available in accounting than engineering.

#24     Jun 22, 2010
  5. Actually, it will mean more useless degrees and certificates, from more useless schools that will feed on the unemployed telling them the tried and true lie...you need a degree to be successful.

#25     Jun 22, 2010
  6. +1

i still can't believe how retarded (or desperate?) some students are, going to these degree mills like university of phoenix. i knew some graduates from those schools and their job prospects did not increase one iota with their $50k degree. i told one of them when she applied for the MBA program that i thought an MBA was a waste unless she went to a big-name business school but she felt i was being condescending toward schools like U of phoenix.

does anyone know a single person who landed a great gig after graduating from those bullshit schools that they likely wouldn't have gotten without the degree? it's an awful investment.

#26     Jun 22, 2010
  7. This link is hilarious, I love it.

Canada has these psuedo-degree colleges now too.. many are unregulated and such. Some are obviously more retarded than others:

http://www.trios.com

#27     Jun 22, 2010
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Exactly. An Indian engineer can do the same shit for 20% of the price as an American counterpart. Lots of ewngineering work can be outsourced easily...

#28     Jun 22, 2010
  9. "Tuition rates are going right on up as well, but the demand appears to be inelastic."

And WHY is this? It is because government loan money is Jamming the education market, just the way it Jammed healthcare. Demand is inelastic because the market is rigged by the state.

Has anyone ever noticed that the areas of the economy where costs increase the fastest are EXACTLY those areas where the state is doing the most to "help" average go afford things?

#29     Jun 22, 2010
  10. zdreg

zdreg

the government has an interest in keeping young people off the streets.
    when there are few jobs around one of the ways to keep young people busy and out of trouble is to keep them in school.

------------------------

from bumble,,,,,,
    Well, I have to respectfully disagree. I've spent a lot of time around people who work for colleges and universities, and I've never seen any sign that all they are interested in is keeping up the enrollment and so on. I'm not quite sure what you could be basing your comment on.

your conclusion is not logical. as long as the government pays the tuition the subject of enrollment level is not on the agenda.

#30     Jun 22, 2010