This crisis means the end of bullsh*t college and university degrees?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Jun 21, 2010.

1. That's what anyone that works for the college will tell you. All they're interested in is keeping up the enrollment which ensures their jobs. They don't care if you spend several years and $100,000 for an education and all you get for it is to become enlightened, stimulated or however you want to word it in their fancy language.

#11     Jun 21, 2010
  2. If college were free I would agree with you. For most, it's not.

#12     Jun 21, 2010
  3. We are way past the need for a "full employment" economy.

Part time jobs are all that is required for a family.

Today, people do not have to work as long per day, per career or per lifetime as was required in past less productive times.

This makes college more and more important for giving utility to the non employment part of a person's and his family's life style.

This has always been true for traders. A successful trader is never defined as a full time trader. There was never any necessity to trade full time to make a living to support any given lifestyle.

One of the major informal activities in today's world is helping others in less fortunate circumstances no matter where they are on the globe. There are many many people who cannot control their destinies. It is up to the rest of us to make it possible for more and more people to be able to control their destinies.

Shouldn't all colleges hand out ATS's with each diploma so that a job is not a requirement of graduates? Wouldn't this be the best guarantee of the college's future endowment?

#13     Jun 21, 2010
  4. Well, I have to respectfully disagree. I've spent a lot of time around people who work for colleges and universities, and I've never seen any sign that all they are interested in is keeping up the enrollment and so on. I'm not quite sure what you could be basing your comment on.

But, anyway, my point was that education is about more than getting a job. In fact, it is arguable that it has nothing at all to do with getting a job.

I entirely agree that the cost of higher education is reaching the absurd, and if it is a matter of economic calculation, ROI, then it often isn't worth it. We can leave it to "the elite."

#14     Jun 21, 2010
  5. jem just commented on his best advice incollege; it was given by his astronomy professor, he said.

I am guessing the prof said: "Just keep grinding away, you will get some focus someday"......my ET early warning post radar picked the post up well before it was deleted........

#15     Jun 21, 2010
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Just another business looking for money. Thats all it is. A 4 year degree is pretty much worthless, now you need a masters to get ahead of the crowd, this will only run you about 6 figures+ when all done and said, now if you can pay it off after you spend about 6 or 8 years obtaining that great degree is a whole other story.

#16     Jun 21, 2010
  7. joe4422

joe4422

What are you talking about? In the past most heads of family worked on 1 40 hour a week job, and the wife stayed home. Today, both work, and rarely would they work only 1 job.

Maybe for someone who lives off his girl friend's wages there appears to be plenty of extra time to kick around, but not for those who actually provide for themselves.

#17     Jun 21, 2010
  8. economic downturns are actually good for the college industry. when people can't find work, they go back to school to hide from economic reality until sunny days return. i know a few unemployed who went back to school in 2009 and 2010. one of them already had a masters and will be getting a 2nd masters. if by a miracle the economy were to return to low unemployment next year, those i anticipate those people will drop out and re-enter the workforce.

#18     Jun 21, 2010
  9. tuition fees are probably the biggest bubble of all time. a lot of universities are going to go bankrupt when tuition fees collapse. those that survive will be much cheaper, except for the few elite schools.

#19     Jun 21, 2010
  10. MattF

MattF

Colleges rely on students. No students, no college. No workers. No jobs.

It's a business. The higher or consistent the enrollments, the easier and more likely it is for these people to keep their jobs...

#20     Jun 22, 2010