This annoying "pop" on my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisMMM, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I'm sorry to ask this in a public forum, however since you guys seem to be computer guys I have to ask this before I come insane.

There is this annoying pop sound that my computer is making every 15 seconds. I know I can just turn the volume off to get rid of this, but I would like to know how to turn this off. Is there somewhere on the computer I go click on to show all the sounds that it is making and turn it off?

Thanks

2. smerriam

smerriam

Do you use vista? My computer does the same thing and it's really annoying.

3. xp

4. hard drive? If you still hear it after turning off the volume it is probably mechanical.

5. macdaddie

macdaddie

Thats the market bubble popping

6. It could be a pop up blocker.

John

7. no, I turned the volume off and I don't hear anything. Ya know how you can press ctrl+alt+delete and it'll show you a list of programs that are running. Well is there something that you can do to see a list of sounds?

8. AAA30

AAA30

Look at the face of your hard drive and see if the Light flashes when you hear the pop.

I have had the same problem before, it is usually caused by a conflict with your drivers or problem in the hard drive.

AAA30

9. hcour

hcour Guest

You could also maybe look in Control Panel/Sound and see if the "pop" sound is assigned to some Windows event.

H

10. mtwokay

mtwokay

Reminds me of the time I forgot about an alert I once programmed on a chart that used an odd clicking sound to indicate the alert had been triggered.

I spent two hours one morning during market hours diagnosing my hard drive thinking the actuator arm was going out until I finally realized what was going on. I was relieved and felt like an idiot at the same time.

Some possible causes of your problem:

1. Hard Drive
    2. Power Supply
    3. Fan blade

First, turn off speakers to confirm it's a hardware problem.

#10     Jun 12, 2007