'This American Life' Today: Awesome, & Why I'm Now + We Are Headed For A Depression

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ive been trading "part time" for almost 3 years. I'm not new to trading but it is different without the safety net aka 9-5 job

#41     Mar 2, 2009

2. LOL. The rest of the world doesn't believe that.

#42     Mar 2, 2009
  3. Has anyone had a chance to listen to this yet? If so, what'd you think about the analysis of the different economists and bankers who commented?

#43     Mar 2, 2009
  4. Bakinec

Bakinec

I'm in a similar situation to him? Why are the odds against us?

I thought that as long as there is market volatility, traders have got nothing to worry about? After all, I couldn't care less if the market / stock I follow goes up or down, I'll act accordingly to profit from either move (short / long) as long as it's volatile and has a daily price range conductive to profiting.

Or you were talking about the recent regulatory actions?

Sorry, I'm just as new here and to trading, and what you said kind of made me worried. If you were simply talking about back-up in case you lose money, then I get that. I'm also looking to moonlight to support myself while I start off.

#44     Mar 2, 2009
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

I am just saying that odds are that you are going to fail and you should have another source of income as backup. If trading will be your only source of income and you have not yet proven that you can trade for a living, then the pressure will be a huge factor against you.

#45     Mar 2, 2009
  6. ram

ram

I listened to it. Definitely clarified a lot for me.

#46     Mar 3, 2009
  7. Thanks.

I thought it was worth posting if even one person found it illuminating.

I found it illuminating and terrifying.

#47     Mar 3, 2009
  8. bronks

bronks

I feel the same ByLo. Thanks for the posting. Sure would be interesting to know how big those "pools" of toxic asset buyers are gonna get. And more importantly... who they are.

EDIT: I'd mention another phrase but I'm afraid if I do, AMT will be on this thread quicker than Jerry Lee on jailbait.

#48     Mar 3, 2009
  9. Thank you for posting it. I understood only an half (hope transcript we'll be available soon), but thank you for posting.

#49     Mar 3, 2009
  10. Arjun1

Arjun1

It was a great listen, thanks for posting it.

This is why I visit ET, some very good links get posted that I otherwise wouldn't discover.

#50     Mar 3, 2009