'This American Life' Today: Awesome, & Why I'm Now + We Are Headed For A Depression

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 1, 2009.

1. They can't allow banks to fail because that is how money is created. In essence they would kill the money making mechanism.

#31     Mar 2, 2009
  2. is there a transcript somewhere? I prefer that to a podcast

#32     Mar 2, 2009
  3. Because the beast has gotten away from its handlers.

Money supply destruction is being balanced by this insane money creation in the form of bailouts. While I have no doubt that the situation is being more than closely managed, the equation in the end is simply too complex and has too many variables to manage it with any great deal of precision. There will either be too much or too little money created. Too much, and we get inflation. Too little, and we have deflation, which wants to predominate although try to see prices in your daily necessities going anywhere but up.

This has got to be akin to walking the high wire across the twin towers in a violent breeze. Swing one way, swing another, hope to god you make it across.

Add mass pyschology and who knows where the hell it takes us.

Good luck to those in charge - if they pull this off I will be amazed.

#33     Mar 2, 2009
  4. gnome

gnome

Best to bet on inflation at some point. BS Bernanke is all but promised (threatened?) to "double and redouble [print-money], as much as necessary" to stave off deflation.

The cure will be worse than the disease... but the death-knell will be a bit later.

#34     Mar 2, 2009
  5. I cannot agree more.
    But I believe gnome is right. At the end will be too much money, for one reason: some institutions are absorbing it like sponges, and some people is postponing consumption, but most of savings (including 401k and other retirement saving in a aging society) will be used sometime in the future AND there is not enough innovation (=productivity improvement) due to offshoring to balance the equation.

#35     Mar 2, 2009
  6. I think jumping the gun on that could be pretty darn painful just the same...

#36     Mar 2, 2009
  7. #37     Mar 2, 2009
  8. this is so sobering. I pray for America right now guys. I hope our current administration does everything that it can and I would say the same if John McCain was our president. It is really scary out here economically right now. I am pretty sure I am going to be laid off in a week or so according to rumors. Hopefully, I can make trading full time work out.

#38     Mar 2, 2009
  9. wrong

nothing wrong with the economy. The debt load is sustainable.

#39     Mar 2, 2009
  10. sprstpd

sprstpd

That's not a good situation to be in to start your trading career. Not that it can't be done, but the odds are definitely stacked against you. Maybe consider a different backup plan.

#40     Mar 2, 2009