This 18-year-old launched a hedge fund from his bedroom in suburban New Jersey

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Oct 4, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

1) This is over a year old
    2) ...."Six figures under management". Not many situations where hedge fund math works with less than 8 figures.
    3) Good for the kid, but its probably bullshit.

VPhantom, raVar, Pekelo and 1 other person like this.
  3. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

4. Lol okay. Another wonder trader miracle story trotted out by the media. I see it ending badly like all the other ones.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Yeah kid's a go-getter and will probably do well enough in life, but my theory is without some kind of "inside" info (legal or not) and or orderflow info, HFT gimmicks, etc, the failure rate of these kinds of "traders" approaches that of retail. These supposed "whiz kids" are looking at essentially the same ol' market stuff everybody else is.

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Hey -- he's got one thing right: that's a screen of IB's/TWS "Daily Lineup" in the background -- so, props in platform choice, props in acct(s) mgt choice, props in tax_profile choice...

But seriously -- if he were just a *little* bit lucky, why couldn't he wrangle some size-related edge from a little T/A, much as do ET traders?
    ENTER: MACD cross-over
    EXIT: |abs(Histogram)| reduction of 20%
    Or the classic sort of stuff that gets forgotten with years of exposure to claptrap and T/A-Religion -- "cut your losers short/let your winners run" kind-of stuff? Even to a 7-figure portfolio, any random set of ETFs and their options would be able to handle that without issue.

“He was so serious about getting this going and so passionate about it, I came to really believe that he was going to get this up and running and keep it going,” says Kuae. “He spends long nights, kind of every waking moment doing what he can to learn as much as he can he is really self-taught.”​

A kid after my own heart.... :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Orbiter likes this.
  7. R1234

R1234

Just news hype. But I do wish my children will be as focused as this kid when they are older.

VPhantom, beginner66, Orbiter and 2 others like this.
  8. %%
    I've mixed feeling about that article/ young man. WHY would he think meeting a loser like Booker would help-maybe it could help him lose, so OK,LOL . I may check out one of his favorite books ''WHY I Left GS......................................................................................................''

9. S2007S

S2007S

Let's see what happens during the next full blown bear market.

comagnum and murray t turtle like this.
  10. Orbiter

Orbiter

#10     Oct 4, 2019