ThinkorSwim

Discussion in 'Trading' started by aquaswim47, Nov 17, 2009.

1. When I trade, can I trade in single share units or must I trade in 100 share units?

Can I trade in the traditional sense where I enter the quantity, stock symbol, type of order (such as market, limit, or stop), and price?

I was wondering this from someone who has used ThinkorSwim. Thanks

2. jalee25

jalee25

mostly 'yes'.

3. You can trade less than 100 shares per trade. And yes to the second part. I suggest you try their papertrader to get a feel for what you can/cant do, but keep in mind the quotes are delayed.

4. That's fine. I have another that gives real-time quotes. Thanks. I tried the trading feature and while it started off at 100 shares, I was able to change it to one.

It's a little bit more complicated than what I am used to at other brokers but isn't as bad as the Forex trading model that all it takes is one lousy click to enter in an order. I guess I don't like that I have to click on a bid or ask and just wish I could click on trade and enter it.

What matters is I understand what trades are being executed, but the functionality is different from what I am used to. I've traded options for three years but am having some difficulty with the paper-money interface. I guess that means I'll need to start with the buy call option before I do the sell call just in case something goes wrong. I love the deep-ITM calls to purchase and I enjoy selling those out-of-the-money calendar spreads.

Where I was confused was with the setup tab had a default to 100 shares.

Thanks for any of your help. I am looking at the paper-trading site. I'm using ThinkorSwim since I want to use spreads and really like $3 trades.

5. nO0b

nO0b

take a look at the "Active Trader" tab in ToS. sounds like that's what you're looking for.