[Thinkorswim] What will happen to the options if left unexercised until maturity

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by vivaskyliska, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Hello everybody,

I am new to trading options with Thinkorswim.

May i know what will happen to the options (of the following scenario) if i hold them unexercised until maturity:
    a.) In the money option
    b.) At the money option
    c) Out of the money option

Thank you.

2. Any option in the money by over a penny will be automatically exercised at expiration. -- or automatically closed for the profit if you don't have the funds in your account to buy the shares.

This is a very basic question...you should have already done your homework.

3. thanks for the respond.

Actually i wanted to ask if they are cash-settled OR stock-settled.
    But i thought leaving the question in more general manner would fetch more elaborated answers.

On Friday last week, my call option was in the money and i purposely left it unexercised to see how it would turn out.
    So, it turned out to be that the option was automatically converted to stock instead of settling in cash. (as shown in the attached screenshot)
    Hence my earlier question. How about the out of money options? What will happen to them?
    upload_2018-4-15_12-11-7.png

Thanks again.

4. JSOP

JSOP

For a) In the money options, I believe the OCC will automatically exercise it for you as long as it is 1 cent in the money UNLESS you specifically advise your broker that you do NOT want to exercise.

b) For At the money option, nothing happens. It will just expire unexercised upon maturity.

c) Same thing as b) above.

5. zdreg

zdreg

exactly when and how is it closed automatically for lack of funds?

6. Thanks!
    I guess the treatment would be different from one broker to another?

7. The broker will automatically close your option position for a profit about 5 or 10 minutes before the option expires, if you don't have the funds in your account to exercise/buy the in-the-money shares.

That's from my loose, general understanding. My broker never had to do that...because I manually close it myself during the day.
    You should, of course, verify the overall technical process with your exact broker.

If you lose your internet connection or get shot or have a heart attack or are away from your computer having sex or taking a dump and shower...that's what the broker will do to your lingering open, profitable option contract at expiration.
    2018 ET. o_O

If your option is worthless near/at expiration...then you don't have to do or worry about anything. it's trash.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. zdreg

zdreg

this is an old article which stills has relevance.

Automatic Exercise, After-Hours Risk, and Other Options Expiration Issues

November 18, 2010, 05:24:18 PM EDT By George Ruhana
    SPY) and the PowerShares QQQ Trust (NASDAQ:QQQQ). These options even trade through 4:15 p.m. Eastern, but the options are settled based on the 4 p.m. close. Because of this, you might be assigned on an option you are short when you don’t expect it.

Small moves in broad-based ETFs are risky, but probably controlled. However, when there is an unexpected event right after the close on an expiration Friday, things can get really crazy. Over the years I have been trading, there have been a handful of instances where a major event (think FDA ruling) occurs that moves a stock a huge percentage. The stock might close at $51, but if a drug is approved, the stock could be trading at $73 after the close.

In this instance, one could expect to get short calls assigned even at the $55, $60, $65, and $70 strikes. All of them might not be assigned, because if the person long the calls did not realize what happened, he may not call in to exercise them. Again, this is very rare, but it has happened. For those who tend to be sellers of options, please remember: YOU DO NOT CONTROL WHETHER OR NOT YOU GET ASSIGNED … EVER. If something happens, you are at the whim of the people long the options.

How can you avoid some of these corner cases? Well, you could close your positions before 4 p.m. Eastern. If you do this, there is no exercise or assignment risk. However, if you are short, you might be paying commissions and a small fee to buy back the options you feel will be worthless in almost every situation.

I think you should assess these case by case. Is there risk in being short calls in the SPY that are 10% out-of-the-money? Yes, but the odds of the market going up 10% in the 1.5 hours after the close are very remote. It is probably a risk you can live with.

The odds are much different if you are short options in, for example, Priceline (NASDAQ:PCLN) that are only 10 cents out-of-the-money near the close. Since PCLN is both volatile and a high-dollar priced stock, the chance this stock could move through your strike is actually very high. By not closing out of these options, you might have to take delivery of a lot of stock, which may not be ideal for your account size. At that point, closing the options out shortly before the close takes a lot of risk off the table.

Question #2: what happens if I exercise or get assigned options and take delivery of the stock? A lot of this depends on the size of your options trade vs. your account value. The biggest risk is you end up with much more risk than your account value can justify. You will have to close the stock position on Monday morning or bring in a lot of money.

Think about this scenario: you have $5,000 in your account. If you sold five of the 170/175 bear call spreads in Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) for $3, you would have to post $2*5*100, which equals $1,000 (and leave the $1,500 you collected in premium in your account). So this trade takes up 20% of your account. This is probably a little too high, but within the realm of reality.

Your maximum risk of the options position alone is only $1,000. If you leave the trade on until expiration and the stock closes at $171, however, theoretically you should be happy. The spread was worth $1 at expiration and you originally collected a net credit of $3, so your profit is $2. However, if you did not close the spread, your trade is far from over. You will be assigned on the $170 calls and the $175 calls will not be an exercise.

On Monday, your account will be short 500 shares of NFLX. That is $85,500 worth of short stock!!! Margin on this trade is $51,300. Your account probably has $6,000 in it. On Monday morning, you have a couple of choices: first, if you have $45,300 laying around, you can wire it into your account and keep the short position.

Second, you can buy back the NFLX stock. If the stock is still trading at $171, then no harm no foul. You still made $1 on the put spread. If the stock is trading lower, you actually would make some money. If the stock starts to trade higher, your whole account value is at risk pretty quickly.

NFLX is a pretty volatile stock. If the stock is up 8.5% on the open on Monday, your account would be wiped out. That is not a very big move for this stock. There is almost no way that at the time of this trade, a customer with $5,000 in his account was thinking “I am willing to lose my entire account value, and then owe OptionsHouse money if the stock moves 8.5% over the weekend.”

Getting into a situation like this puts the OptionsHouse trade desk and risk departments in a bad spot. Some customers want to wait until Monday to sort this out. Others did not know about the risk, and they would have rather we busted out of the trade for them. We cannot read your minds, so we close out of positions that we deem too risky for the account size before the market closes on Friday afternoon.

This depends on the underlying dollar amount of the stock in which you have expiring options positions, as well as the dollar value of your account. This does not mean we will close positions down due to the size of your account value. You can expect that if you leave one of these positions open through expiration, you will have some decisions to make Monday morning (along with likely a margin call). (Sign up for our free webinar series on margin calls for more information on these fun things).

Hope this article is helpful; please make sure you pay attention as your positions head into expiration. All traders lose money on some of their trades over time. The bad ones lose money but don’t understand why. You should know the risks of your positions.

Please refer toCharacteristics and Risks of Standardized Options, copies of which can also be obtained by contacting our Customer Service Department atcustomerservice@optionshouse.com.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

the bottom line is you need to contact your brokerage firm as internal rules may be stricter.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    vivaskyliska likes this.
  9. JSOP

JSOP

No the treatment would be the same for ALL brokers although different brokers may have different cut-off times for submitting your exercise/not exercise request. It is the OCC (Options Industry Council) that sets these rules NOT the individual brokers; the brokers just follows these rules.

vivaskyliska likes this.
  10. JSOP

JSOP

The OCC should really remove this auto-exercise rule that automatically exercises any options that's in the money for just 1 cent. That is absolutely ridiculous and is in violation of client fiduciary responsibilities as the option is exercised without the consent of the option holder and is actually unconstitutional; it violated Freedom of expression by the option holder. I don't know why it's there.

For the option writers, this is a nightmare. When you close your option position, you not only have to pay extra commission and fees but your profit automatically gets reduced because there is no way you can close the position at $0, the lowest price you can close the position is at 1 cent. If OCC just does not automatically exercise options, the option writers would not be penalized unnecessarily.

Luckily though according to OCC, only 30% of the options are ever exercised because it is ALWAYS more profitable to sell the option when it's in the money.

#10     Apr 15, 2018