thinkorswim TOS platform not available for EU citizens?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Zarathustra, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Peter10

Peter10

i also didn't know why TDAmeritrade didn't close down the account after 60 days, this is my second account. The first account was closed after 60 days and i opened another with a different email

#11     Mar 24, 2019
    Zarathustra likes this.
  2. Hi Zarathustra
    I'm living in the Netherlands also and tried unsuccessfully to create a TOS account.
    I called and they said they no longer allow new accounts for most countries here. UK, NL, Belgium, Germany etc - all are blocked for new customers.
    Only existing customers can successfully hold their accounts open.

Did you find a workaround?

Hopefully there's someone out there who has an empty account they no longer want as I really like the TOS platform.

Thanks
    Matt

#12     Jan 8, 2020
  3. Mike8040

Mike8040

Any success with the account opening? I'm also desperate to use the TOS platform. Even their mobile platform is way better designed than all European broker offerings. Really disappointed with the European broker market. Outdated and expensive for nothing.
    Would like to trade on TOS too but read they got weak fills and a lot of downtime lately.

#13     Jul 3, 2020
  4. hgb380

hgb380

i am also from NL, and managed to open a papermoney account at TOS which is said to be valid for 60 days (think out of the box when entering the data).
    https://platform.thinkorswim.com/platform/index.html#!/pmregister

i also started with webull.com , which starts with userid/pw . then you can not go further with opening an account, but gives you charting,watchlists,screener.

the platforms from webull or tos are much better then for example the one i have at degiro.
    and besides degiro has no premarket and aftermarket trading.

for trading i have an account with interactivebrokers.com
    for NL lynx could be an option, but lynx is just a shell above interactivebrokers (i.e. introducing broker)

further i sometimes use tradingview.com for charting.

#14     Jul 16, 2020
  5. hgb380

hgb380

#15     Jul 16, 2020
  6. hgb380

hgb380

if it is only to import scans for which you have an url link, or use the platform for charting you could rent an account. it sounds weird but there are parties who do that. just google it.

#16     Jul 27, 2020
  7. ZBZB

ZBZB

TD ameritrade is being bought by Schwab so maybe TOS will be available after the merger closes. You can open an account with schwab internationally. www.schwab.co.uk

#17     Jul 27, 2020
  8. otctrade

otctrade

Only German/Spanish/Belgian residents can open Schwab accounts inside EU. You can also open one as a Swiss resident.

#18     Jul 30, 2020
  9. #19     Jan 23, 2021
  10. drftr

drftr Guest

I'm not sure that's completely correct: I'm from NL as well and both TDA and IB closed my equities accounts because the EU demands certain documentation from US ETF issuers. These issuers apparently gave the EU the finger and can't be bothered about European traders any longer. I can stay with IB but only for trading options and futures as for those instruments there's no special EU rules. The only US broker I have found that allows Europeans is TradeStation. Possibly because their parent company is Japanese but that's just a guess. To be honest I'm very happy using them and wouldn't go back if the EU rules would change.

drftr

#20     Jan 23, 2021