ThinkorSwim Scanner (TOS Scanner)

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by trader99, Oct 13, 2019.

1. trader99

trader99

Hi Eters,

I'm just learning today that TOS has a scanner! I know where have I been? I've been using TC2000. It has delayed data and even when I upgraded to Platinum, the real-time scanner is not spitting signals in real-time. At least I can't get it to work.

Then I found out TOS has a free scanner if you open up a TD Ameritrade account.

Have you guys tried that? How is the REAL-TIME scanner? Is it fast? and real-time?

So to get the free TOS scanner, I have to open a TD Ameritrade account. no problem. Does one have to pay data fees for that? Or you can just open the account and use the TOS with real-time scanner for free?

Thanks!

2. qlai

qlai

Last time I tried, custom scanners were not updating real time. Shame. Data is free.

trader99 likes this.
  3. trader99

trader99

According to this guy above, that can be fixed. Have anyone tried to get it real time using the hack above ?

Thanks!

4. qlai

qlai

I always had real time data and scanners used to update real time, but at some point stopped. There was a discussion here regarding this and it was confirmed. Let's see if someone says otherwise.

trader99 likes this.
  5. trader99

trader99

When you say data is free, you mean TDA doesn't charge you monthly exchange data fees?

6. qlai

qlai

Correct. And, unlike IB Dimlite, it's full NBBO data including top of books for all regional exchanges.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  7. trader99

trader99

All for free? I'm gonna open an account just to use TOS and get free data! lol.

How about the execution, stability, and speed of the platform?

8. qlai

qlai

Well, free to use it within TOS. Can't get it via API for trading purposes, afaik.

All good, but it's a bit heavy/slow and a memory hog. I use IB to execute. Embarrassingly, no other equities broker can match what IB Pro offers(just in equities alone), after so many years!

Cdntrader and trader99 like this.
  9. trader99

trader99

Thanks for the info. I'm still gonna use IB mostly for futures. Trade Zero for equities.

I hope the scanner is fast and real time. I used Trade Ideas before and it's really fast but it doesn't have the flexibility in terms of filter criteria I want..

10. I knew for a long time they had scammers calling and promising you billions if you join their platform. Now scanners.......hummmm.....never heard about it.

#10     Oct 14, 2019