Thinkorswim problem

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Capablanca79, Mar 25, 2017.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Dunno. Doubtful! But if you do this as part of a wholesale Java/etc scrub, and do it 4-5 times (like it sounds you're on the way to doing), you *may* get a working platform.

Good luck! And write down what you're doing so you're always keeping track. It won't guarantee success in the future, but it might shorten frustration time. (As well as freeing brain-RAM right now.)

#11     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  2. Thanks guys. I have now tried this but unfortunately no success.

I also tried another browser and that did not work either.

Any more ideas?

#12     Mar 25, 2017
  3. @Capablanca79 - on a side note - why are you getting the TOS software in the first place? Do you need something that it provides that is not supported better by other software that works with TD Ameritrade? We have a saying - friends don't let friends use TOS :)

#13     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I had the same problem you've described. Instead of tinkering with the installation process, I installed it on my other computer and didn't have any further problems.

Thus, I just assumed something on one computer was in conflict with the installation process while not in conflict on the other computer. Unfortunately, I never figure out what was the problem with that computer and it never had any problems with other software although both computers easily met the installation requirements.

Therefore, my suggestion is try another computer considering we as traders should always have a backup system just in case something goes wrong while trading.

TOS is a cheap backup alternative.

#14     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  5. O(1)

O(1)

Haha! I agree TDA.. :thumbsdown: for live trading.

IMO though.. I think the OnDemand feature is a pretty cool tool. And, it's free.

#15     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  6. I am new to options trading. I started watching videos on youtube a month or two ago and the ones i liked best was from optionalpha and they used TOS.
    I really liked all the functions TOS had and it seemed easy to learn.

Then i realized TD Ameritrade was expensive so i searched for other places to trade.
    Optionshouse, IB, Tradeking, Tradestation etc.

But most of them dont allow traders from outside US, and the IB plattform I found to be really poor compared to TOS.

So actually there is nothing special about TOS for me if there are other better softwares that works with TD Ameritrade. Which one do you recommend? I would like to be able to start by trading pappermoney if that is possible.

Thanks by the way for mentioning this!

And if anyone know of a cheaper broker that also have a great option software im interested in hearing about that too.

#16     Mar 25, 2017
  7. O(1)

O(1)

did you try this..

My platform won’t load; do you have any troubleshooting tips?
    Please try these steps below:

For Windows Machines:
    1. Exit the thinkorswim software
    2. Right click on the thinkorswim icon
    3. Left-click on PROPERTIES
    4. Left-click on FIND TARGET (Windows Visa/7: Select SHORTCUT tab and left-click OPEN FILE LOCATION)
    5. In the resulting window, right-click on the USERGUI folder
    6. Left-click on DELETE
    7. Restart thinkorswim.

#17     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  8. Well, I
    I wasn't really panning TDA for live trading. Just why use TOS. One of my favorite comments from a client is “Thank you for saving me from the Think or Swim program, a Sherman Tank for cruising the highway. Just not very nimble.

#18     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  9. @Capablanca79 - I am biased and can't mention others. However, Options is actually TOS's strong suit. Just wanted to see what you were looking for from the software before you committed.

#19     Mar 25, 2017
    Capablanca79 likes this.
  10. Yes, i have tried that too.

#20     Mar 25, 2017