ThinkorSwim Paper Money problem - crazy fills, strange order statuses

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by scotta65, Oct 3, 2013.

1. scotta65

scotta65

The past couple of weeks I have been paper trading with ThinkorSwim's Paper Money to test a new strategy and I have had a few very strange things happen to me:

Sometimes, I will put in a market order, the order status will say "accepted," but never fill.

If it does fill, it will be at some crazy fill (no, its got nothing to do with the delayed quotes, I am very experienced with TOS and paper trading with it and this is certainly not the case.)

Example: I bought 5 contracts of NFLX puts today at market for what seemed like 1.04. I ended up getting filled at .42. An hour later I decide to sell at market. At that time the puts were 3.10 each. My sell order ended up filling at.... .42.

These two things have happened many times over the past couple of weeks and I am afraid TOS has something wrong with their ordering and execution. I am now scared to trade with real money in fear of the same problem occurring.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Seriously - in a simulator they give the prices, with real moeny it is the exchange doing the pricing.

And why the hell do you ask here and not their support (and then come here rambling how incompetent they are, afte you asked them)?

3. scotta65

scotta65

Gee, sounds like someone had a bad night drinking....

4. Yes, like you - for thinking simulator fills are real and for not even considering talking to the provider about psossible problems.

5. I've had no problems trading real money (since 05) I don't really use paper trading much so can't help with your problems. You should get a good answer from the trading desk.

I agree with the above response that simulater fills can't really duplicate live fills.