thinkorswim laggy on my PC. Time for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vic38, Nov 30, 2019.

1. vic38

vic38

Off the top of my head, probably close to 30 instruments charted simultaneously, plus a heat map, plus a watchlist window with many dozens of instruments, though only a couple dozen at most in one watchlist. Truth be told, some of those charts were just checked in the morning and then not checked again until the close. So I'll have to deal with opening those charts manually when I want to look at them, then close them. And for others, I can just monitor prices in a watchlist, and click on instrument to chart as needed.

I reduced to ~12 instruments charted simultaneously plus the watchlist window. Lag reduced to acceptable levels. I noticed that if I reduce charts further, I can get to no noticeable lag.

Again, the lag is only in TOS, and I was plotting similar # of charts in TWS without any noticeable lag. Though TWS was terrible for chart drawings, so I did those in Ninjatrader. But I do those drawings in TOS, so I am asking TOS to do more than I was asking TWS to do.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    #51     Jan 4, 2020
  2. Did you actually have to close each of those "too many windows", or was it already sufficient to minimize those windows? From your description I get the impression that TOS internally is reaching a limit with such a number of chart windows, without your computer reaching one of its hardware limits (RAM, CPU, graphics).

#52     Jan 4, 2020
  3. vic38

vic38

I didn't try minimizing. I'll give that a try, but I'm guessing the extra chart windows, even when minimized, will slow down TOS.

Yeah, that's certainly the impression I have as well. I'll have to get on the phone with TOS one of these days and see if I can get anymore particulars on their limits besides the generic advice I've been given in chat: "reduce the number of charts".

#53     Jan 4, 2020
  4. ZBZB

ZBZB

More powerful PC may be needed.

#54     Jan 4, 2020
  5. destriero

destriero

TOS runs great on OSX and linux. Much better than on equivalent PC hardware.

#55     Jan 4, 2020
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

You only get a few %% bump between I7 Generations, even then such a wide range, you could actually have a slower processor, total nightmare, running a 9year old Core 2 Duo without any issues here, but only MT4 trading.

#56     Jan 4, 2020
  7. vic38

vic38

Yeah, when I chatted with TOS, they said they have users running 8gb RAM systems, but they're running very few charts.

#57     Jan 4, 2020
  8. Turveyd

Turveyd

Doubt a chart takes 1Mb of ram each, only got 4GB on mine as 32Bit.

Software using more than 1 core ??

#58     Jan 4, 2020
  9. vic38

vic38

I believe TOS is NOT multi-threaded, so one core.

#59     Jan 4, 2020
  10. schizo

schizo

I can no longer use OnDemand replay. The computer goes into a hyper-frenzied meltdown and memory shoots through the roof. I have a quad-core and even though I've increased the memory to the maximum setting it's still no go.

#60     Jan 4, 2020