thinkorswim charting?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by mad_badger, Mar 31, 2008.

1. On toscharts: Style, Expand.

#11     Apr 2, 2008
  2. Do think or swim have longer term charts?

Thanks for input. I am looking for a good charting package which will give me longer term (1 year or more) charts.

#12     Apr 2, 2008
  3. js1257

js1257

AmbusHillbilly, thanx for explaining how to expand the chart as I have been looking for a way to do this and CS did not know how.

#13     Apr 2, 2008
  4. They have up to monthly charts. I believe it goes to 20 years.

#14     Apr 2, 2008
  5. In the chart setup window there are setting up to 20 year charts...I would assume that data is subject to availability. The longest term I have personally ever looked at was a 3yr chart and I have been able to get all of those that I looked for.

#15     Apr 2, 2008
  6. Thanks. That is a nice feature. Just wish I had known that before.

#16     Apr 2, 2008
  7. The charting is good, not great. First, you need about twice the screen real estate compared to Tradestation. There is a confining limit to the number of indicators allowed on one screen that is split..something like 2 indicators in a subgraph. For best results, you should have one dedicated LCD for EACH symbol you are tracking. Otherwise, you must scroll thru the your symbol list one-at-a-time on a single screen....ugh.
    Also, their scripting language for custom indicators is really, REALLY primitive. I tried using it recently and gave up. There is no comparison to TS's Easy Language....just none. They are promising to beef it up in the near future.
    Finally, the servers that provide the chart data are different than the servers that provide the streaming quotes. In fast markets, the charts won't update for several seconds sometimes ... however, the quotes NEVER lag. Actually in over 1 year of use, the platform has never crashed, not once.
    Bottomline: great GUI implementation for this platform, but the base software was not designed for futures scalping at all. Swing trading futures 10-20 trades per day ? Then it's fine....as bracket order functionality was also very well done. Finally, execution slippage on emini futures stop orders is minimal....unlike many other low-cost brokers (hint, hint...)

#17     Apr 2, 2008
  8. You are correct. The platform was designed from the ground up as an option trading platform. The ability to trade futures was added later in the life cycle at customer request. It is however as you mentioned one of the most stable platforms around.

#18     Apr 2, 2008
  9. Thanks suedeuno and Maverickz for the information . I hope I can try their papertradind a/c with longer term charts.

#19     Apr 2, 2008