thinkorswim acquired by ameritrade.

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by gaj, Jan 8, 2009.

1. I know what you mean.. it was nice dealing with a guerilla warfare type firm...

#21     Jan 8, 2009
  2. I am hoping for the best, but if history is the guide, I am just daydreaming. I had a fantastic experience with "Xpresstrade" - the futures broker, somewhat similar to TOS, small, great service, and great platform. They were bought by Optionsxpress, and now I don't trade with them as the whole web interface I liked, is abandoned.

Anyway, I think TOS has greater customer base which they don't want to disappoint - especially it is not late 90's when almost everyone was clicking Buy and Sell buttons every few seconds!

(Note: I have no affiliation with TOS)

#22     Jan 8, 2009
  3. "Independence is the spirit that drives
    America's most successful investors."

whew, I'm just sick of that jerk in their commercials...

#23     Jan 8, 2009
  4. ssbc19

ssbc19

I used to trade with TD but moved over to thinkorswim over a year ago.

Apparently it's good for TOS customers because of "enhanced access to mutual funds", "retirement solutions" and "powerful research" from places like Minyanville.

I bet a lot of TOS clients will really appreciate the mutual fund and retirement tools.

#24     Jan 8, 2009
  5. Wow I can’t believe they sold out. I thought they were better than that. I don’t have any money in my TOS account now, but keep it open for when I want to trade with them again. They are great about that and still let me access the software. How long do you want to bet until TD does away with the $1.50 with no minimum option commissions that TOS gave me? Acquisitions are rarely good for the customers or employees.

#25     Jan 8, 2009
  6. mike007

mike007

No no i wont, I am a trader, not investor.

#26     Jan 8, 2009
  7. nlslax

nlslax

I will give it some time, but in the meantime will start to demo IB.

#27     Jan 8, 2009
  8. Well, that's one less trading account to deal with. Way back in the day had one experience with TD - and it was enough - never ever ever again.

Thanks for the memories, ToS.

#28     Jan 8, 2009
  9. Correct me if I'm wrong but TD doesn't currently have an 'active' trader platform right? It would make sense if there were to implement the TOS software as such. However even if that were the case if they don't grandfather me in on rates then I will likely pull my accounts.

Having said that, there really are no other brokers that offer all-in-one account services AND have quality software AND do not directly charge you for the exchange/data and platform fees. There are a few that offer all services but you either get much less platform or you will be paying the monthly exchange fees and platform fees unless you meet the high volume trade minimums. Unless someone knows of some I'm missing?

#29     Jan 8, 2009
  10. Yes but they will change clearing firms, and routing orders through Ameritrade servers will affect execution quality and product offering, for example they may drop futures trading and options on futures.

#30     Jan 8, 2009