Thinking of switching to eSignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dddooo, Dec 14, 2002.

1. As far as I can tell, the only way to get esignal to run on multiple screens is to bring up multiple instances since esignal does not use a multiple document interface. You'd have one layout and set of charts for the left screen and a second for the right. Since files aren't shared, hopefully this would not cause a crash.

#11     Dec 14, 2002
  2. That was probably my problem - (inadvertent) file sharing.

A feature I'd like to see is a way to place child windows outside the parent so we can place them anywhere on the desktop w/o regard to the parent window's size/placement.

That router idea was intruguing; I just wonder if the Data Manager also compares the network cards' MAC addresses to the IP address? That would cause the shared machines on a router not to work - maybe.

#12     Dec 14, 2002
  3. DblArrow

DblArrow

Not so - I run 3 instances at the same time.

Simply copy the entire Qchart folder to another as many times as you wish and create the appropriate shortcut so it points to appropriate folder. I run 4.2.1.7 and 4.2.1.16. You can also simply run the install twice (or more) and install to a different folder.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#13     Dec 14, 2002
  4. miniTrdr

miniTrdr

my experience has been you have to run only 1 instance of the data server - but can have multiple clients attach to it - ie. esignals charts, neotick, etc. doesnt seem to care how man clients attach. clients can only attach from the server the data server is on.

#14     Dec 14, 2002
  5. BCE,
    My home network is indeed connected by a router (Barricade). It is a hardware router with built-in firewall and NAT(Network Access Translation). I only get one external IP address from my ISP and I did expect the setup to work. Nevertheless it does not. As soon as I start qcharts on second computer, my first pc gets disconnected from qcharts server with a message that my account is being accessed from 2 separate IP addresses.

Other than that, it sounds like I will at least be able to run multiple instances of eSignal simultaneously on one computer and this is good enough for me.

Thanks everybody

#15     Dec 14, 2002
  6. Chris,

I tried this approach and it did work though personally I found it a bit messy - I mean having 3-4 installations of the same application is kind of weird.

Fortunately I did not have to resort to it, I normally run one instance of qCharts and 2-4 instances of SWP which does not have this limitation.

But you are absolutely right, if you have qCharts only and want to run multiple instances of the application, this is the way to do it.

Thanks

#16     Dec 14, 2002
  7. You have the same external IP address but you are using two socket connections over two different pairs of ports which is how NAT allows 2 machines to share the same IP and that is how QCharts can tell what you are doing.

#17     Dec 14, 2002
  8. Yeah, but if I am running two instances of qcharts on the same machine (or qcharts and stockwatchpro) they are also using same external IP address and two different ports but it is working just fine. Somehow they are able to differentiate between instances running on the same machine and two different machines even though the IP address is (supposedly) the same.

#18     Dec 14, 2002
  9. BCE

BCE

dddooo,
    I was talking about running eSignal on more than one computer by using a router, not QCharts. I've never used QCharts so I can't help you in that regard. I did look at QCharts awhile back and their charts at the time were so much nicer than the ones eSignal had then, but right after that eSignal took a giant leap forward in updating their charts and they're really very nice now. I was running the beta version of eSignal 7 while they were developing it and put my 2 cents in as far as what they could do to improve the charts as did many others. They did a great job. One thing I suggested that they haven't added yet is futures overlays in line form over candlestick charts. This is something I use every day and have to create it in RealTick. They'll probably do this in future versions.

#19     Dec 15, 2002
  10. So I would not be able to use it at home at night on my laptop if it is installed on my trading computer?

This was why I got rid of TC2000. I couldn't do research at night away from my office. They gave you one machine key and the others were extra.

Geo.

PS: I may be wrong here, but when I very quickly looked at the IB memo and offer I thought it was the same price its always been - 79$ prepay.

#20     Dec 15, 2002