Thinking about Trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by casamaya, Feb 27, 2006.

1. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

And you're smart money? The OP was simply asking a question. Get a life.

#11     Feb 27, 2006
  2. bitrend

bitrend

Welcome to Wall Street!

#12     Feb 27, 2006
  3. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

Here is where to begin:

1) Always follow the trend
    2) Buy into areas of demand and sell into areas of resistance
    3) Let your winners ride and sell your losers
    4) Losers average losers
    5) Manage your money

#13     Feb 27, 2006
  4. CONR

CONR

Hi Chris,

You're getting some good advice here. Don't listen to some of the earlier critical posts. Those are the ones not making any money.

If you are going to do this, keep in mind that it is essentially starting a business. Unfortunately most new businesses fail. But that doesn't mean you will. It takes a lot of hard work and patience. Learn how to read charts and interpret indicators, use a simulator and read the posts here and on other threads. A lot of it is very helpful.

Good luck.

#14     Feb 27, 2006
  5. Ignore all the wise ass replies. They're only defense mechanisms from the insecure and failed.

I think it's important to move your focus from "how much can I make" to "how much can I lose". In other words, money management and risk management.

Also, you must be mentally ready.
    "If you think you can or can't, then you're probably right."

Good luck.

#15     Feb 27, 2006
  6. Chris,

I've found that it's important to figure out who you are in regards to your trading strategy. Are you the type who needs instant gratification, or are you patient and can handle being in a trade for a few days?

I'm the latter, so I started with a swing trading strategy that I paper'ed for almost a year. It was very successful. I have now automated it...

I haven't learned too much other than that... I've tried to master one thing (swinging the equities market) before I head to the next... (although I am testing my strategy in currencies right now using a demo account...)

Good luck to you...

#16     Feb 28, 2006
  7. bitrend

bitrend

casamaya,
    You know, uptik2000 is a professional trader and a professional loves someone like you.:)

#17     Feb 28, 2006
  8. I'm not a professional trader.

#18     Feb 28, 2006
  9. Once the dow hits 12500 by year end, you'll see another US daytrading rush as well.

#19     Mar 18, 2006
  10. Honestly speaking, you will probaly lose all of your money if you just go for it. I lost all 20k in less than 1 year a few years ago. At one point I was up over 65k position trading futures, but I didn't have trailing stops in place so I got what I deserved.

Spend a good 4-6 months just reading and trying to make money on a simulator. Consider getting a mentor if you can find one. I did and it saved my butt. Search the forum threads and read as much as you, there is alot of good info here. I almost quit last fall after not making money on even a simulator. Then my mentor took it back to square one and I am making money consistently.

Try to make a consistent amount per day and then add multiple contracts or more shares, if your chosen maket can handle your desired volume. Rember this is a serious business. If you want to gamble go to Vegas atleast you will see pretty girls and get free drinks.

The people you will compete against get up early in the morning, study till late at night, and look for fresh blood like you to pick your pocket. You are competing against some traders that make 7 figures, this is a zero sum game Sorry, but it just that harsh. I wish you luck

Dan

#20     Mar 18, 2006