Thinking About Starting A DayTrade Station Build Co.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gbrowne40, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Your competition will be Dell.

Seriously.

Look at what support you CAN get from them. 4 hours preempive replacement.

I can see a market for a computer system that is not optimized on price (as most end user systems are) but on - hm - "availability".

* Standardize your setups as much as possible, so you can stock up on reserve systems.
    * Including the not exactly no dollar but alos not exactly expensive features needed to keep uptime in case of a failure. I mostly talk of.... hot swappable disc frames.
    * Dont rip people out on price for the hardware, but offer a good support service. NAturally you are limited (compared to Dell) for customers futher away.

There should be a market. I personally would still build myself, and I have 2 computers in reserve ;) But then..... Many traders do not know IT, and they will be willing to pay a premium for a "responsible" setup. Much more than in other businesses money and income in Trading depends on a working infrastructure.

#11     Jul 3, 2009
  2. Just buy a Macintosh Pro workstation and you are good to go. That is what we use.

5 workstations all Mac pro systems. Damn things are reliable.

#12     Jul 4, 2009
  3. Didn't know there was such a thing as a Mac Workstation. What does one cost as configured for trading?

#13     Jul 4, 2009
  4. I got mine a couple month ago and am quite happy with it (it is my first Mac product other than an iPhone) and decided to try a Mac Pro because of the prompt service and good design (you call and get to talk with someone right away who can answer your questions). I went with 2 of the 2.26 quad core xeon, 8gb ram, 2 650gb drives, and 2 of the basic NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 video cards. You can configure here: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB535LL/A?mco=NDE4NDIyMQ

#14     Jul 4, 2009
  5. Dang! ONE of those cost more than I spent for all 5 of my Dell Workstations... :D

#15     Jul 4, 2009
  6. They aren't cheap - that's for sure! I had at least 10 Dell computers (precision, inspiron, etc) over the years and they have been built OK, but I have never had a single good experience with their service.
    I finally got tired of dicking around with them so I gave Apple a try. Plus the thing is a work of art in itself - open up the case and you don't see any wires! I run Windows XP with VMWare Fusion and it runs more stable than it did on the Dell Precision I just replaced.

#16     Jul 4, 2009
  7. Which model Dell Presisions did you replace? Current "T" line, or earlier?

#17     Jul 4, 2009
  8. Old one - a 650 with dual Xeon and 4gb ram. At the time it was almost the same price as this Mac Pro.

BTW, are you gnome? :)

#18     Jul 4, 2009
  9. 650 was just one generation back. Had a 975x chipset.

New "T" line has x38 or x58 chipset.

What's a gnome?

#19     Jul 4, 2009
  10. #20     Jul 4, 2009