Thinking About Full Time - A Few Basic Questions

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Lapdance Jockey, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Hello All,

I noticed that the majority around here seem to trade Options/Futures/ etc etc. rather than straight Stocks -

I've come to the conclusion that my niche is in the swing trading arena - with just plain old stocks. I generally trade in 1000 - 2000 share increments and have stops in 10 cents. I've made a few scalping plays but i try and limit those to a few utility companies that i follow that have good volume but tend to not fly around -

My questions are: (and i realize many of these have been asked to death, so many thanks ahead of time)

How much capital is realistic to start with- lowest amount/highest amount?

What seems to make options etc. more attractive than just stocks?

Any suggestions on books with some information that is useful and applicable would be appreciated.

Gratzie

:cool:

2. So who would be your funding/capital source ---- Jade, Candy, or Mercedes??? :D :D :D

3. lol

still looking for one of those ;-) but in the mean time

i have 3 words for you

HOME EQUITY LOAN - BAM!

- i've been living in this house for 2 years and its appreciated 100k+ ... so i wasnt lookin to get to crazy

:cool:

4. also

im 25 - now is the time to take a shot - it'd be harder if i was married with a family on the line

i've also seen this comment around the threads too "needing a mentor" or something along those lines.

again - like many - im just putting myself out there...

5. if you could line up what i suggested then you would have the gig of the CENTURY!!! LOL! :D

if i was you i would not trade one red cent until you have a method and a track record of realtime trades with some sort of trade simulator --- at least 90 days of excellent profitability before committing any real dollars.

trading is a tough game in the beginning, and you have a TON of hurdles to jump before you will find a true profitable method that can be put into action --- there should be no rush into trading, so take your time and do things slow and methodical.

i am a futures trader so maybe some of the stock players could chime in here to help you out --- good luck!

6. 10% a month is a very realistic number once you become a consistent trader and that will take 3 years min.

So you do the math based on your needs.

The smartest thing you can do and I REALLY hope you listen to me: Is to paper trade until you can consistently make 10% per month for a 6 month period.

I would have referred you to an excellent mentor a few months ago but I don't do that anymore because whenever I try and help anyone in ET I get burned for it.

I will tell you this though ET is good for harware, software and book reviews.

Don't take anything else in here seriously.

Good luck to you !

7. alrighty -

so where do you go for the online paper trading love?

8. Your live trading platform SHOULD have one built in or if your just swing trading build a portfolio @ yahooo finance it's a pretty good free service.

9. They aren't. And the reason there are a lot of futures traders on this board is because the capital requirements are so low. They come and go quickly.

10. yes futures have the leverage and the tax benefits {60/40 rule} that make them so attractive. the amount of money to put on a 1000 lot order in the ES {only $500,000} and the potential risk or reward is so much different then what you can do with $500,000 in stock trading.

#10     Dec 10, 2005