Think or Swim vs Lightspeed vs Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by bobbo2111, Jan 14, 2011.

Better Broker?

1. Think or Swim

30 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Lightspeed

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Interactive Brokers

78 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. bobbo2111

bobbo2111

Hello,
    I was wondering others opinion of the three. Im looking to join a brokerage that will allows equities, options, futures and forex trading all in one. I like the idea of being able to trade each from the same platform. So far Ive pretty much gathered that Think or Swim has the best customer service but Lightspeed and IB have better rates. Opinions anyone?
    Thank you :)

2. I have accounts with both thinkorswim and IB, TOS platform is way better , but if you use margin you can not beat IB , you can have your rates reduced with TOS , just call them and tell them that you are a bad ass trader, I pay 7 dollars unlimited and 1.25 an option.

3. Something else too , I find that TWS loads slower than TOS , I don't know why.

4. And it doesn't matter where you trade and how much they charge, less you trade better off you'll be long term. Brokers want you trade more.

5. Open E Cry is worth a look.
    Been using them and have no complaints.
    I just use their charts and DOM. Always get good fills.

6. I use TOS for mostly swing trading and some daytrading, and from personal experience it's a good retail platform with clean looking charts. Also, you get futures data without charge, live streaming CNBC, and their live chat has been very helpful with minor issues that come up occassionaly. It was also correctly mentioned that their commissions are negotiable.

If you're strictly daytrading then you're right Lightspeed has better rates. A trader collegue of mine just got his account and pays .45 cents a hundred with a $1 minimum ticket, however he uses them for execution only and uses TOS for his charts.

Regarding IB, I don't have any experience with them however from what others have posted it seems they have good reviews.

7. fogut

fogut

Is it that easy to get your rates reduced with TOS ? When I called them, they told me that you have to have a certain amount of minimum trades to get the rate reduced. What do you mean when you say 'tell them you are a bad ass trader.'

8. Tell them that you trade options with just2trade or any other cheap broker, and you'd like to acat or open an account with TOS , and bargain!! say can you do unlimited shares at 7 and options @ 1.25 without a ticket charge? If you do I'm bringing my account, learn kid:))

9. joe4422

joe4422

You get what you pay for. Think or swim is free, but they often freeze up. I would never use them to put on trades. IB is cheaper, faster, and dependable. You will generally get better fills with IB as well.

10. jumper

jumper

If TOS has $7 unlimited, than how is LS cheaper? IF you just did 2k shares on LS, you're paying more. I would love to use TOS for the 20k and 50k share tickets.

#10     Jan 15, 2011