think or swim problems

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by shneed, Oct 10, 2015.

1. gee golly whiz, the name sure is catchy, must be a real pistol of a platform.

Does it have a lot of flashy thingys and (literally) bells & whistles? I hear flashy thingys use a lot of memory.

#11     Oct 11, 2015
  2. I have had a very disappointing experience since the new release. Like many of the others posting I have a powerful Mac and I run into memory overloads. The most annoying problem is when I am selecting an option strategy. TOS throws the submenu onto my other monitors and even that location is random. The most ridiculous is that the paper version does not do this. The absolutely worst problem is the attitude of the chatroom moderators. I was banned for daring to post inquiries about others' experience.

#12     Nov 18, 2015
  3. Stopped using TOS as a platform.

I liked it before.

To people continuing to use it:
    Please report here if there is any positive change in the future.

#13     Nov 19, 2015
  4. I have to login and "end task" the program a few times a day until all my charts show up. I can't just close it because it won't close on its own when the charts don't all show up. And yes, it freezes up few times during the day without reason or cause. I know my pc is powerful enough and it's not the issue. The worst of it is, when it freezes up and you have to restart, any work you've done is gone. I've contacted TDA more times than i care to recall, and the last advise (apart from deleting folders and clearing out "garbage" and setting ram, or even telling me to use their main website (!), etc - all the run arounds that they give to everybody) the last technical "support" they gave me was "Think back to when it worked and try going back to those settings. The only thing worse than what they've done to TOS is their support.

The only option that they're driving me to is to switch to another broker. I mean... how can i trade like this? They won't even allow you to login on days when we have a lot of volume in the market which is exactly when i need a reliable platform. Might as well do it - they seem like trouble down the line and seems to me we'll see even a bigger problem (like a major hack and loss of funds) given the lack of effort they're putting in to fixing this.

#14     Dec 4, 2015
  5. My main issues seemed to have quietly disappeared. I do have to reboot, but this is not a daily experience. This generally does not hurt me since I enter my trades with an attached OCO exit plan. My experiences with Support has been tedious as they very pleasantly walk me through all the fix attempts previously tried and often finish with an offer for some free Investools time, which I view as a passive-aggressive insult. I was given a "time-out" removal from the chat rooms because I dared to post my problems for open discussion. Two days ago I was told that I could ask for my timeout to be removed and I have decided I don't miss the yak rooms at all.
    Has anybody jumped over to Dough in response to this new skin?

#15     Dec 4, 2015
  6. Chubbly

Chubbly

Things got better for me after switching to the 64 bit client

#16     Dec 4, 2015
  7. I am currently on the 64 bit. Things took a downhill fast after they put on the new UI. You know, the skin where the numbers are greyed out so you can't see em (not sure who the genius is behind that one). As far as i'm concerned, it's just a new "design" but nothing in terms of performance has improved. I'm convinced that it's an issue on their end, even though they keep trying to blame you for the problems. I was doing some chart work last night and around 11pm-12am it froze up again and i had to reboot 5-6 times (of course i lost all my work) and delete the usergui folder several times and gradually it began to get back to normal. It it was a glitch on my end or if it was due to some kind of overload in their network, you don't expect this to happen all of a sudden near midnight on a Friday. I ended up deciding to reduce the number of windows in my setup by nearly half to see if that will help in any way, and also decided to upgrade to Windows 10 this morning. I'm doing everything i can on my end to deal with the issues. If anything improves i will be sure to post it here.

#17     Dec 5, 2015
  8. Resolution: 1. use ramdisk ! you can download it from AMD website.
    2. watch free memory ,when it down to 100k, restart tos.

"Java garbage" getting big and big, if they don't change to another language ,like c++,I can't see any hope.
    64 bit Java performance is too bad compare to 32 bit.

#18     Dec 11, 2015
  9. I have 2 GB to spare when running TOS as well as other applications. TOS uses approximately 2.5GB of the 8 i have. I don't think expanding to 16 GB is gonna help the issue, although i have thought about spending $40 to just rule that aspect out.

#19     Dec 11, 2015
  10. Watch free memory from help menu of TOS, not from windows task manager.
    32bit Tos will running out 2g memory. increase pc's physical memory don't help .

#20     Dec 12, 2015