Think or Swim data messy??

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Rashid_G., May 21, 2010.

1. I am primarily an equity trader that has loved using Quotetracker with the Level-1 quote feed coming from DTN's "IQ-Feed". The only problem is that DTN does not really support the equity trader all that much given that they refuse to offer Nasdaq Total View and NYSE Level-2 quotes. They say that they will be building a data-center in New Jersey in order to eventually offer these quotes sometime at the end of this year, or early next year... but these quotes will only be offered for their $500 per month NxCore product.

That having been said, I took a serious look at ToS recently, and unfortunately couldn't believe how slow their data-feed was. It was literally the same kind of a "snap-shot" feed that Ameritrade's "streamer" is. Not good.

About two weeks ago I ran Schwab's Street Smart Pro platform ( the old CyberTrader ) against Quotetracker with DTN quotes, vs ToS.

Low and behold, the Schwab platform was clicking away at the SAME exact speed as my Level-1 quotes from DTN's "IQ-Feed" that were coming through my Quotetracker platform. Even more impressive was the fact that the data-feed of the Schwab platform was also keeping up with the professional ToS platform called ThinkPipes.

Interestingly enough, Schwab is reportedly about to beta-test an "in-house" trading platform that they hope to debut sometime in Q4 of this year. Apparently, they are tired of integrating their newer software applications ( back office stuff, etc. ) into Street Smart Pro (cybertrader) and are committed to developing a brand new platform from the ground up!

Given my complaints to ToS ( which is now under the Ameritrade umbrella ) about how slow their data-feed is on their ThinkorSwim platform, their IT guys have told me that they are about to release a new version ( version 16.22 ) that will speed up the equity quotes to a level similar to that of ThinkPipes, while leaving the options quotes the same, if not throttling them back a tad given that they do not need to update as much. With options, you are just talking about huge amounts of data, but not nearly as many "updates" compared to equities.

Look for this new version of ToS to come out by the middle of June.
    :)

#11     Jun 3, 2010
    EquitiesVenture likes this.
  2. Thanks for the info..

#12     Jun 3, 2010
  3. No problem.

By the way, if you are on the West Coast ( like I am ) and a remote trader the Schwab Street Smart Pro quotes are really fast... (they are not "throttled" back like on the ToS platform) and moreover, you wind up connecting to the Schwab servers here in California/Arizona as opposed to traveling to the midwest somewhere ( like Ameritrade ) or all the way back to NJ/NY and fighting through all sorts of internet congestion.

If I do a trace-route to the Street Smart Pro servers, the last 3 hops show transfer hop numbers ( on average ) of only 33-34 milliseconds! Try comparing that to other platforms with servers on the other side of the country.

Pretty impressive.
    :cool:

#13     Jun 3, 2010
  4. TOS - DATA QUALITY PROBLEM

How to explain this ? I use Paper Trading Account to practice trading. When i scan to find stocks that meet some investment criteria, I see that: A lot of stocks has very small trading volume but with high percent change while market cap is not big ? It means something wrong ?

Why this happen?

That means the cause is a lot of inaccurate data feed.

I know that Paper Account is for educational purpose. But, providing good data is not difficult and computer can do that easily and automatically.

If with Live Account, may be different ?

#14     Feb 14, 2016