Think most voters are worried about national debt?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TGregg, Mar 2, 2010.

1. TGregg

TGregg

You can sit down to a triple whopper with bacon and extra cheese, king size fries, king size regular coke and top it off with two ice creams for lunch and not have a problem. Do it for every meal and you'll be dead in a few years.

#11     Mar 2, 2010
  2. What "compliment"... I suggested you are a TOTAL FUCKING IDIOT... what with the "I don't think it's a serious matter"...

Egregious example of "stupid spew"... ON IGNORE!

#12     Mar 2, 2010
  3. Reminder - Dont disagree with Scataphagos, if you present facts or valid arguments - he will put you on ignore which will be a massive loss to your daily bullshit requirement.

#13     Mar 2, 2010
  4. So who created this spiralling debt :confused:

What can we do to bring these irresponsible people to justice :confused:

#14     Mar 2, 2010
  5. Ricter

Ricter

No kidding. Scat is uncontrolled emotion. The reply to his post was measured and without insult. I think Scat's here for emotional comfort, really, and just wants to hear from like-minded folks more than anything else.

#15     Mar 2, 2010
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Jeez Scat last I checked Arnie is one of the few good guys around here.

#16     Mar 2, 2010
  7. TGregg

TGregg

Who? Voters. Voters have consistently said they want more government handouts and less taxes. They've said more debt is a small price to pay. Further, they vote that way even more strongly than they say it.

Some people will say our politicians are too blame. But that is not the case. Take two politicians from any party. One guy says he's going to give you more stuff and make somebody else pay for it. The other guy points out the obvious problems with that and says the best path forward is less spending and more taxes. The latter guy is toast. He's so obviously going to fail that nobody with enough game and money and connections and all the rest is even going to consider that obviously failed platform. Even if somebody came along and stuck to it, he wouldn't get all the support he'd need from the money/power brokers `cuz those guys are smart enough to know they'd just be wasting their resources.

What can we do? Maybe bring back some reality, some responsibility, some accountability. Screw up and you lose something. Do the right thing and be rewarded. Way back when, if you really screwed up during the spring, summer or fall, your winter was going to suck something awful. You might even starve to death. Back then, nobody had any problems understanding the benefits of sacrifice now for a better future. But we've created so many safety nets and so many handouts and worked so hard to protect people from the consequences of their actions that most cannot even consider the ramification of their actions.

Witness all the problems I started with. Drug abuse, obesity, dumb student loans, mortgages, spending every dime and not saving, ponzi schemes, the list is endless. Did some of this happen before? Sure. But people learned their lesson from watching others - and if they didn't they got more chances on their own.

But responsibility and accountability and planning for the future and all the rest of that grown-up adult stuff is out of fashion. Nobody wants it.

#17     Mar 2, 2010
  8. I usually give posters a few shots at dumb-assedness... unless they say something REALLY STUPID.. as an indication they don't have a clue... and that reading anything they say in the future is likely to be bilge and a waste of time... Perhaps I was hasty, perhaps not.

#18     Mar 2, 2010
  9. Not really. There was a brief spike at the conclusion of WWll-when war dominated GDP plummeted along with the cost of conflict rising-but even in that brief snapshot, debt to GDP was only marginally higher than now. Another year or two of trillion dollar deficits, without a corresponding bump in production, will put us right back into that 120% zone. Not to mention there was a massive wallop of inflation in the late 40's-early 50's.

#19     Mar 2, 2010
  10. Ricter

Ricter

#20     Mar 2, 2010