They seize checking accounts for unpaid hospital bills?????

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I never heard of this either but I've been keeping a small tally on this issue for several years after My wife's grandmother got her direct depost ss check froze when she didn't pay a fingerhut bill.

Fingerhut is some mail order crap seller and it seems the way the terms are written, if your deliquent, zip, they take the funds out of your bank account.

Then, my daughter thorugh a divorce and some bk filing, her direct deposit paycheck got zapped. Granted she may not have been aware that this could happen, point is, The lawyers, the banks and others didn't inform whomever they are supposed to be protecting.that this could happen.

So no...I'm not surprised about the guy in the article. if he had an agreement or a lawyer, was he informed that this could happen? I'd bet the answer is no or we wouldn't be reading about him.

In this situation I wouldn't use direct deposit and surely would have a different bank account other than the one you list with whoever is going after your money.

My point is more about control of YOUR money the terms of repayment rather than creditors thinking you're dead beat.

#31     Feb 14, 2012
  2. That is true, but after the non working welfare queens then they are for the working man.

#32     Feb 14, 2012
  3. Bob111

Bob111

just curious-what if it's a joint account?
    if one can take your money away without any court\dispute\arbitrage or whatever-it sounds like plain robbery to me...
    unless it says-by signing you agree to this and that.. then-if you fail to pay and you agree with those terms-it all your problem

#33     Feb 14, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

If they'd dump those useless parasite welfare queens then maybe I'd switch parties. As long as MY tax dollars are supporting those assholes then I have a problem with their party.

#34     Feb 14, 2012
  5. Alot of misinformation in this thread. You cannot seize money from a bank account anywhere in the US without a court judgment. In my state, you cannot get a court judgment for money unless you serve the other individual with a summons. Service means it is handed to him by the sheriff, or by an authorized 3rd party service company.

Provided you win in court, you get a judgment. You win automatically if the defendant does not show up. If the defendant does show, you have to prove your case.

Now, here's the kicker. It's not that easy to collect your money with a judgment. For instance, yes, you can seize it from his bank account. But how do you know where the bank account is??? And what if the account is closed and moved somewhere else.

Trust me, it's not that easy to collect on a judgment. I've got a drawer full of judgments, most of which I've never been able to collect. These are tenants who did not pay the rent and who I had to evict. I got a judgment, and could have garnished wages or levied the bank account. But it's amazing how many people change jobs, or close the bank account.

OldTrader

#35     Feb 15, 2012
  6. Your govt/politicians prefer you to be poor/subservient/defenseless.

#36     Feb 15, 2012
  7. You are right my friend.

Monopolies are part of the true ruling system CORPORATISM.

#37     Feb 15, 2012

8. Name some monopoly companies we should break up... thanks

#38     Feb 15, 2012
  9. Oil and Banking industry. That would solve 90% of the evils.

#39     Feb 15, 2012
  10. If it's hard to collect on a judgment, why do people bother going to court then? How do you find someone's bank account anyhow?

#40     Feb 16, 2012