These Larry Williams systems..?!

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by MISSSNP, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Sashe

Sashe

DBS, this system uses limit orders and/or MOO. For obvious reasons I can only post the signal to ET after I get filled myself..
    But, frankly, it would be kind of front running and that's what I don't want and most importanly don't need to do. On the other hand, posting today's trades after close wouldn't make sence it all. Also I've learned that posting trades without explaining any reasons behind it doesn't make anybody good.

#21     Oct 24, 2004
  2. True,
    But if you can write little about the logic behind the trade(s) it would still be great journal. It would be probably first profitable system journal on ET . If you are in process of testing it, you could papertrade it in your journal .
    hombre

#22     Oct 25, 2004
  3. Very interesting...this looks strikingly similar to a system that I trade.

#23     Oct 25, 2004
  4. Sashe

Sashe

Hombre, I 'll try to explain some logic later....

#24     Oct 25, 2004
  5. Funster

Funster

looks to me like a simple system (they are the best sometimes).

Something like:

buy x% below the open.

sell when you get another open that is higher than entry price.

Or sell regardless after 10 days.

No stops.

Am I warm ?

:)

#25     Oct 26, 2004
  6. Sashe

Sashe

Very close, good thinking....The better systems are always simpe...Buy when it pulls back from the main trend for a certain % (depends on many factors like ATR, ADX and security's current historical volty level). Then enter for a quick snapback.
    That's basically the core of the system plus money management.
    Also stops do exist and as you can see from the performance report stops are bigger than targets. The system makes it up by high win% rate, thus the positive expectancy of the sytem and nice equity curve.

#26     Oct 26, 2004
  7. Unfortunately, IMHO these type systems never do anywhere near the backtested results. They can even lose money over time.

How can a system with such a win rate and PF lose? For one thing, survivorship bias looms large on any backtest and especially any system that targets Naz stocks.

And worse, is the fact that these limit order type systems miss many MANY trades because of low/zero liquidity at the limit price, or just plain bad data and "not real" supposed trades near/at the limit. Those missed trades are usually big winners in the backtests.

Just a few horrendous dumpers and delisting/bankrupt losers will kill many of those small, short term profits.

I've traded these systems with thousands of trades and millions of dollars in total traded equity and have only barely broken even over the last 3 years. I have done very well at times and the market seemed to be throwing money at me, but then when things got tough and the market stalled with low volatility and stocks that bounced like a dropped bowl of wet oatmeal...nothing but churn...

If you can make it work longtem then more power to you. I wish you luck and good trading!

My System: :D

[​IMG]

#27     Oct 26, 2004
  8. Remiraz

Remiraz

According to this, in 2003 to 2004 your system returned 800% (multiplied your equity by 8 times)

Good job.

#28     Oct 26, 2004
  9. Well, after taxes I only netted about $150 million. I WISH.

Oh wait...hmmm...let's see...carry the 4...add 7....hmmm...

Uh oh, looks like it was really $1.50! :p

#29     Oct 26, 2004
  10. Remiraz

Remiraz

so what went wrong?

#30     Oct 26, 2004