These Larry Williams systems..?!

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by MISSSNP, Oct 22, 2004.

1. MISSSNP

MISSSNP

does anyone know what these 3 techniques are:
    All by Larry Williams: Protege system, R and R system, Blastoff
    index. Let me know, via private message or email. Thanks.

Paula

From Larry Williams promo:
    PROTEGE SYSTEM STILL KICKING OUT PROFITS
    $1098 per month trading the E-Mini's
    Here it is...a mechanical method for trading the S&P 500 or E-Mini's that's proven in real time. I introduced this system last January. Since I've added a tweak or two so it trades a bit more, but it is essentially the same now as then...and quite profitable.

YEAR TRADES WINNERS PROFIT
    1998 42 95% $105,010
    1999 33 100 104,115
    2000 27 100 116,010
    2001 20 100 128,125
    2002 27 94.6 111,860
    2003 38 94.7 60,440

LEARN MY R AND R TRADING SYSTEM
    Here's a shorter term mechanical system that works in all markets, Bonds or Bellies, S&P or Soybeans. A proven strategy for entry, exit and stop loss protection. I'll let you call out any market---any time--and then we'll trade it, on paper, you can see how it does. Bring me your most challenging market---after I teach you the rules we'll trade whatever market you want to prove the validity of this simple system.
    R And R works on any market, no curve fitting. Great for stocks or commodities.

ANY MARKET
    NO DAY TRADING
    LEARN 3 NEW ENTRIES
    STOPS AND EXITS
    CLEARLY REVEALED
    STOCKS OR COMMODITIES
    WHEN TO GET IN---WHEN TO GET OUT
    It would have been just impossible not to have made money with last summer's selections. But I know you still need more. That's why I'll teach you my best trend timing system; how to know when to buy, where stops go, where the best targets are, and how to ride a trade for as long as possible.

WANT TO KNOW WHEN A MARKET IS READY TO BLAST OFF?
    Introducing."Blast Off" a truly revolutionary index that pin points when market blast offs (up or down) are most likely to occur.
    I'm really proud of this index.it is a totally new idea in technical analysis that tells us, exactly when ANY MARKET is most apt to have an explosive up or down move.when a day is most apt to give us plenty of room for trading profits.

BLAST OFF! YOU'LL FLIP OUT

You've never seen anything like this index---ever before---it's the pride and joy of all the indicators I have developed. I say that because it pin points precisely when the market is most apt to Blast Off! tomorrow. It works on stocks as well as it does commodities.

The index is based on a cycle of market activity I discovered over a year ago. The traders I've shown it to have flipped out at how well it has said, "Tomorrow the market is going to explode." Here are just a few examples for you study so you can see---and know---how vital this new tool is.

2. dbs119

dbs119

Well, that's called marketing..These systems are most probably curve-fitted. If i had a system with 100% winning trades or even 90%- man i would not even talk about being a trader/investor/speculator to anyone except myself :))

3. How do you curvefit 5 years results ? I am not saying that you are wrong but IMO it is not possible to curvefit 5 years in the row. It would be interesting if some of ET system developers could comment on that .
    hombre

4. PCanyon

PCanyon

Williams always has some interesting stuff.

He was the first to popularize volatility breakout systems.

5. Remiraz

Remiraz

Yes you can.

If you don't you can't get 100% winners for an entire year twice ever. There is no such thing as 100% winners in this business.

6. Can you or someone else post set of rules rules for the curvefitted or optimized system with 100% returns over couple of years or even one year?
    I would like to see it to believe it. I still don't believe that you can curvefit these results 5 years in a row.

7. Remiraz

Remiraz

I will try to code a system based on daily bars and curve fit it but I'm a beginner in coding so I guess other ET forumers will probably beat me to it.

8. cosmic

cosmic

given enough parameters it can surely be done - that's the most interesting thing about systems in general - the ratio of parameters to data points.

Even if you trade of certain patterns without many parameters (& that basically what LW is doing I think) that can only work for a certain time period. I often thought that his systems have to few trades to be statistically acceptable.

nice weekend,
    cosmic

9. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

it's very easy to curve fit and over several years..

one method is to have few trades and get no statistical significance. let's say 10 to 20 trades.. I can have a 100% winners on this. no problem.

second method (you can combine them), in the system use data from the future.
    yes, it's easy, any system using a MACD and using the indicator to take a trade decision the same day is 'looking at the future'. because the indicator is using the 'close' for the current bar while this close is unknown until 4:00pm EST.
    this is true for many indicators..

I know it's a basic mistake of system development, but it's also a common trick among system vendors.
    of course a system built that way never works in real life, because it can't know the close at the open !

I am not saying anything about Williams' systems since I don't know them, but I am saying it's very easy to fake great results.
    only forward testing and live trading is valuable.

10. Cosmic and tntneo,

I would like to ask you if you can give an example of a rules of such system which can be curvefitted to get LW results or something comparable to it . It would be nice if some myths could be dispelled .
    Thanks
    hombre

#10     Oct 23, 2004