These Are The Inner Working Of The Business Side Of A Prop Firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by WinItAll, Oct 9, 2009.

1. what about trading rooms? they have no risk and take all your money too!

the trading world is full of snake oils and full of suckers ... :p

#11     Oct 10, 2009
  2. JamesL

JamesL

For firms where you trade firm capital, what would be considered a good level of buying power given to the trader to start? 100k? 250K? 500K?

And as he/she progresses?

#12     Oct 10, 2009
  3. l2tradr

l2tradr

I guess it depends on the firm. In places like Swift or Title, you'll trade 100 shares for a while, then 200 etc. So nowhere close to those figures you posted.

#13     Oct 10, 2009
  4. Tide31

Tide31

i get your point, but 60 mils and 80/20 is not a great deal. you can get 30 mils and 99/1. If you put up $5k and lever up to $250k with that split, how is that a bad deal? The losses are yours but the money is theirs. i for one find this more attractive than no money down and .01/share or 100 mils and a 50/50 split. unless you are well established and punt absolutely huge, in which case it makes sense to use their losses.

#14     Oct 10, 2009
  5. l2tradr

l2tradr

One more thing to add, there are some firms that require you to put up capital but they give you 0.20/1000 commissions with a split...that is another alternative, because I am pretty sure they don't make money from you on commissions...

#15     Oct 10, 2009
  6. JamesL

JamesL

Who charges 60 mils with a split? Anyone who went that high I have always seen as 100% payout.

#16     Oct 10, 2009

7. very well said!

very well said!

they ALL promise, but deliver paultry, unstructured and faulty training sessions,

no follow through, no quality control, no support, just excuses and such....

and to think you weren't making money.....

the frightful thing is their skim ensures their survival, not yours...

some partnership, huh?

#17     Oct 10, 2009
  8. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Ahh, you registered in August 2009. I learned long ago not to argue with "know-it-all" people. Referring to me as a "moron" and "first genius" shows your own insecurities and weaknesses.

Apparently you failed to read -- or comprehend my reply to to your initial post.

As far as newbies learning something from your post -- I doubt they'd be trading a million shares per month. Thus, your theoretical example is relatively meaningless.

Flame away if you must. Experienced traders know the score as I've previously stated. And an experienced trader can negotiate his/her setup with any firm if they're consistently profitable. End of story. Your 'theory' is just that. I prefer to deal with reality.

#18     Oct 10, 2009
  9. Dhoh,

You're right..... I'm the one that's insecure yet you are the one trying to flex your mighty internet muscles and criticize a post in which I was trying to help people. You must be a very busy and successful man. I'm so honored that you could find the time in your busy schedule to try and knock my posting.... I mean you must have just felt the need to post about how every knew this and it's just theoretical b/c it was such an offensive post right???

Maybe you should just ask yourself why you need to be such a jackass and couldn't either just add something informative instead of trying to dig in and tear apart what i think is important info.

As for my theoretical example... You can plug in any numbers you want, the split will be similiar at the end. And if you're mentally retarded brain thought about it, new guys would probably be paying even higher ticket charges b/c they'd be doing less volume.

In closing please walk into oncoming traffic.

#19     Oct 11, 2009
  10. Alright, let me get this straight because I've never be sure what a 'Prop Firm' is.

I deposit my money with them, they give me a desk & equipment to trade with, I get very high leverage (200/1 ???), I get a reduced commission rate, and they get to keep a percentage of the profit that I make.

They make their money through commission skim (a little) and a percentage of my profits.

Is this correct?

Can I trade Futures thru a Prop Firm ?

Do you have any links that will describe specific aspects of a specific prop firm?

#20     Oct 11, 2009