There Must Be Some Other UK People?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Helenqu, Aug 20, 2002.

1. stevet

stevet

remember that interactive's data feed is only a snap shot of the data - not the real thing - and it can be way out of line with the real market

#71     Aug 22, 2002
  2. nugya

nugya

So what do you think we should discuss at this thread???
    Weather !!!!!!!! Wasn't it a beautiful day today..

#72     Aug 22, 2002
  3. Neil

Neil

Is that supposed to be a joke?? lol We HAVE to talk about the weather.. constantly.. all the time.. its our great ice breaker.. its how we meet people... it was sunny here today too... not raining.. actually sunny I tell you!! Really!!!

#73     Aug 22, 2002
  4. nugya

nugya

Toby

I haven't use Dax futures as I find that Dax future is more or less shadow of Nasdaq. So you may as well use NQ or QQQ. You will also find that 20 euro a point could be little bit too high for beginners on a very fast moving index. I did checked out easy2trade in the past but if I remember correctly they only offer FTSE futures and they charge monthly fee which is deducted from your commision cost.

#74     Aug 22, 2002
  5. nugya

nugya

According to Helenqu we are not discussing the right things on this UK tread.So I assume that maybe she would like us to discuss the weather:)

Personally I think all the things discussed here so far are relavent to UK based traders or investors.

#75     Aug 22, 2002
  6. Helenqu

Helenqu

Hi ,

I didn't say we weren't discussing the "right" things just that the title of the thread was are there any other Uk traders about. We have moved away from that, that's all.

I have asked in the comments section re a UK/Ireland board.

By the way the weather is overcast in Hatfield this morning :)

#76     Aug 23, 2002
  7. stevet

stevet

i agree that the dax futures might be a bit heavy for a beginner, and although it is very technical in its movement, therefore easy to trade, it does absolutely follow the nasdaq, albeit a shock absorber dampened version, so it has more extreme moves relative to say the ftse, albeit a shock absorber dampened version

the s&p is good for experienced or learner - since it has such good liquidity so you wont get slippage - in other words u might lose money - but u have to blame yourself - not slippage!

the stoxx50 is probably the best for a learner to start with, since it has a reasonable value and margin, and fits uk time, great liquidity and will do the wonderfull european trending in the uk morining - then switch to s&p in the afternoon for a bit of excitement

the easy2trade people are real nice, but their features are too light and their charges are way to high

i dont think traders bases are all that important in this electronic age, its the markets, both by country and by type, that u play which might segregate different types of investors - as it happens there is not really a lot on elite for futures people, but there are some great insights into options and stocks

#77     Aug 23, 2002
  8. secrets

secrets

Why does every one want to trade stock related indexes ?

The bond market is the best to start with as it has good technical movement, fantastic liquidity, so is ideal for the beginner and experienced trader. Trying to learn on the stock indexes is like trying to learn to drive in a Ferrari with the gears being selected randomly in the rain. It The S&P is were the pros take your money while your learning.

How about we pick a market such as the bund and discuss how to trade it. Much more practical than arguing which is the best broker, execution plat form or is spreading better that futures ect.

So first are we going to look at trading the trend or counter trend ?

I'll start with a suggestion that we trade in the direction of the trend, so the first point is to identify the trend. Well there are millions of ways so a easy one is lets say the 3 day moving average yesterday is higher or lower that it was 3 days ago and the 18 day moving average is higher or lower that it was 18 days ago.

Lets go back in time on the Bund chart to look at a time when the both these indicters were higher than they were 3 & 18 days prior (any one fancy posting the chart to demonstrate, remember I am an oldy so you will have to lead me through posting attachments, not worked it out yet).

The next stage is to decide how we get in - any takers ?

#78     Aug 23, 2002
  9. nugya

nugya

Hi secrets,

I really would appreciate if you could get a discussion going on bond market. My only contribution to that would be very minimal with few silly questions as I have never traded bonds.

I want to go into them to hedge against the stock indexes as they usual move on the opposite direction. I know there are bunds, gilts and treasure bills but hmmm maybe I know very little to even talk about it. Do you know any website specializing in bond markets??

thanks

#79     Aug 23, 2002
  10. nugya

nugya

Stevet,

Never traded stoxx50. What is the value per point pls? As an index, how responsive is it to movements in Nasdaq? Which market is it traded on?

thanks

#80     Aug 23, 2002