There is no heaven no hell

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by SnakeEYE, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Are you still working, you sure post a lot lately.

#51     Oct 11, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Fortunately yes, it's a slow time of the year for me. I am making progress on my project though. I have one horizontal stabilizer covered and the second is not far behind.

#52     Oct 11, 2011
  3. slow time for me too this time of year, don't know what's wrong but I'm making consistent money on the ES the last few weeks during my free time.

#53     Oct 11, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Best quit while you're ahead. :)

#54     Oct 11, 2011

5. That would of been good advise a couple of wives ago.

#55     Oct 11, 2011
  6. jem

jem

While you have been ducking a simple question about the existence or non existence of a creator... you have laid to rest any question about the existence of fairies.

#56     Oct 11, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Some people just never learn. Myself included of course.

#57     Oct 11, 2011
  8. stu

stu

I don't have one to enjoy or not enjoy, and furthermore no doubt much to your disappointment, you can't impose one on me.

#58     Oct 12, 2011
  9. stu

stu

Try reasoning for once instead of just name calling and you might become better informed.

Which creator , what creator?
    Naturalistic or supernatural?

The least doubt at the moment is for the existence of another witless response from you brainlessly repeating your question begging question.

#59     Oct 12, 2011
  10. Ricter

Ricter

"The fact is that this is what society is and always has been: a symbolic action system, a structure of statuses and roles, customs and rules for behavior, designed to serve as a vehicle for earthly heroism. Each script is somewhat unique, each culture has a different hero system. What the anthropologists call "cultural relativity" is thus really the relativity of hero-systems the world over. But each cultural system is a dramatization of earthly heroics; each system cuts out roles for performances of various degrees of heroism: from the "high" heroism of a Churchill, a Mao, or a Buddha, to the "low" heroism of the coal miner, the peasant, the simple priest; the plain, everyday, earthy heroism wrought by gnarled working hands guiding a family through hunger and disease.

It doesn't matter whether the cultural hero-system is frankly magical, religious, and primitive or secular, scientific, and civilized. It is still a mythical hero-system in which people serve in order to earn a feeling of primary value, or cosmic specialness, or ultimate usefulness to creation, of unshakable meaning. They earn this feeling by carving out a place in nature, by building an edifice that reflects human value: a temple, a cathedral, a totem pole, a skyscraper, a family that spans three generations. The hope and belief is that the things that man creates in society are of lasting worth and meaning, that they outlive or outshine death and decay, that man and his products count. ..."

- Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

#60     Oct 12, 2011