There Is Absolutely NO VALUE To High Frequency Trading

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by OnClose, Sep 27, 2012.

1. that was the intended purpose :D

#51     Sep 28, 2012
  2. ammo

ammo

please clean it up, we're all getting screwed here,not just the two of you

#52     Sep 28, 2012
  3. JUNIORCTA needs to get a grip,he/she clearly doesnt have a clue wtf is going on

#53     Sep 28, 2012
  4. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Not going to expand on what central banks have to do with HFT?

#54     Sep 28, 2012
  5. vicirek

vicirek

Government Deficit - Bond Print - Fed Monetizing - Government Bond Dealer banks as middleman playing shell game hiding paper by quickly moving from bonds to equities to derivatives (HFT connection). If this is not enough than you have ECB - Fed -Japan Central Bank shuffle. Simple. And then again back to the beginning (deficit). Circle closed.

#55     Sep 28, 2012
  6. I agree with this original comment. Many (including me) are confused about HFT. Just a heads up. in the "Hold Brothers $4 Million Manipulative Trading Case" thread, Mr. Bright has made an interesting seminar offer on page 11.

Of course, I have no relationship to him at all. I just like to learn to get better and some of his past comments have been very good to help me think.

I am still thinking about the comment of the VALUE ADDED by HFT to the markets.

#56     Sep 28, 2012
  7. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Sorry, but this is entirely incoherent. QE purchases are done at a set time with the primary dealers, who solicit bids on behalf of bond traders. "Bond print" are auctions that are also done at a set time, using an auction protocol. Neither of which is done on a high-frequency basis. Both of these are done with the schedule published far ahead of time on the fed website. I have actually traded both of them (I used to trade bonds institutionally).

Further, the vast majority of bond trading is still done over-the-counter or over request-for-quote systems (tradeweb, for example), which preclude of the use of HFT.

The primary dealers themselves have little to do with the flow of money from bond to equity to bond; They merely do the bond trading - again, mostly over voice. What's the shell game? What's being hidden?

None of these have any direct connection with HFT.

You don't like QE. Fine. You don't like the deficit financing - fair enough. Neither of which have any direct effect on HFT.

#57     Sep 28, 2012
  8. vicirek

vicirek

The primary dealers are who? The biggest banks with trading desks in bonds, derivatives and equities. Yes the bond part of the game is gentlemen club. The question is where the liquidity in the markets and exponentially growing capitalization is coming from. Also who is buying the bond? Billions of new paper each month in the US alone. It does not add up with the output of the economy. Money is moving from bonds to equities and back and the volatility to induce this is created by the dealer banks with HFT. After all they have the inventory of unsold paper. Bond layering with mortgages and other exotic products was shot in 2008. Just watch the stock market and match with calendar of government bond auctions. You see the pattern.

#58     Sep 28, 2012
  9. so you're telling me that a institution, which essentially has unlimited money, aren't using algos to walk up X and down Y on the ladder at will?

#59     Sep 28, 2012
  10. kandlekid

kandlekid

Have you ever heard of quote stuffing ? There may be the appearance of always having "somebody to buy and sell", but the reality can be quite different. At least according to the SEC.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703882304575465990082237642.html

#60     Sep 28, 2012