Theological discusssion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by morganist, Jun 16, 2011.

1. why does it have to be a god? you are trying to put your belief in a god in a gap in our knowledge:

A.The Argument from Efficient Cause:
    1.There is an efficient cause for everything; nothing can be the efficient cause of itself.
    2.It is not possible to regress to infinity in efficient causes.
    3.To take away the cause is to take away the effect.
    4.If there be no first cause then there will be no others.
    5.Therefore, a First Cause exists (and this is God).

“If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause. If there can be anything without a cause, it may just as well be the world as God, so that there cannot be any validity in that argument. It is exactly of the same nature as the Hindu's view, that the world rested upon an elephant and the elephant rested upon a tortoise; and when they said, ‘How about the tortoise?’ the Indian said, ’Suppose we change the subject.’ Bertrand Russell,

#31     Jun 17, 2011
  2. Yannis

Yannis

The basis of most great religions (eg, Christianity, Judaism, Hiduism) is that God created everything. This includes the Earth, the whole Universe, time, the laws of nature, the laws of mathematics and probability, the whole framework that we call reason or logic. Plus a myriad other things we are not aware of.

The ways we have been given to interact with God are basically intuitive, beyond mere logic and science. He created those too.

We can look and think, see some things, experience many more. But, how can one use part of creation to explain God?

#32     Jun 17, 2011
  3. of course there is another explaination that fits perfectly. there is nothing up there.

#33     Jun 17, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

And yet (I've asked you this before iirc), that doesn't satisfy, does it?

#34     Jun 17, 2011
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

Actually I never attribute it to a god. If you read the OP you see I state a consciousness not a god. I even challenge the general Christian understanding of God and question there understanding of the holy ghost as a ever present consciousness to a set of general rules that show consideration to others.

Please read the OP I think you might gain a deeper appreciation to my argument if you do.

#35     Jun 17, 2011
  6. Yannis

Yannis

I'm not sure where's "up there" but, then again, where did "nothing" come from? It was either totally fundamental, outside space and time and logic, in which case that's your perception of God, or it was created somehow by God, the source of everything. Atheism is another religion, while Agnosticism is a state of mind, right?

And if you say that "nothing" doesn't exist, think whether one of the bases of our modern math and science, the zero, exists...

Remember Odysseus who convinced the Cyclop to yell that "No-one" blinded him? Funny about that :)

#36     Jun 17, 2011
  7. no it doesnt. not to those indoctrinated to believe in a supernatural deity

#37     Jun 17, 2011
  8. is apolitical political?

#38     Jun 17, 2011
  9. Yannis

Yannis

Are you implying that there's no such thing "supernatural?" In that case, define your sense of "nature"... What does it contain? Its own source, perhaps?

#39     Jun 17, 2011
  10. Yannis

Yannis

Apolitical = The state or quality of being apolitical can be the apathy and/or the antipathy towards all political affiliations. Being apolitical can also refer to situations in which people take an unbiased position in regard to political matters.

Yes, being apolitical is another way of being political, like being political-light.

Don't forget that if you either pull or push something, you are still attached, related, to that thing.

#40     Jun 17, 2011