Theological discusssion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by morganist, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

thx

#11     Jun 16, 2011
  2. Wallet

Wallet

Fingerprints of a divine creator perhaps?

When I look around me and notice the complexity of my surroundings, I find it impossible to conclude that it all evolved by chance.

#12     Jun 16, 2011
  3. Ricter

Ricter

It's also appears in a movie about Becker's book, and the research which has followed. Flight From Death: The Quest for Immortality.

Have not seen Tree of Life, yet, but will.

#13     Jun 16, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

It was a fascinating film but it's not for everyone. It really touches on Becker's philosophy. The film can be hard to watch because of how it was shot. The closest thing I can compare it to is 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you liked that film in terms of its structure, you "might" like this film. I think it takes a very interesting approach looking at man's relationship to God and nature. People seem to either really love this film or absolutely hate it. Not much in between. It's a very visual film like 2001.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WXRYA1dxP_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#14     Jun 16, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Here is a little more on it.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UVUXDn6hCY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#15     Jun 16, 2011
  6. Max E.

Max E.

Thx, it looks like something that would interest me.

#16     Jun 16, 2011
  7. complete and total nonsense. only a religious mind could think this way. any study of health statistic would show this to be untrue.
    i have one friend who drinks a bottle of whiskey every weekend and smokes heavy and yet seems to be healthy. i have another friend who is a strong christian who never smoked a day in her life dying of lung cancer.

#17     Jun 16, 2011
  8. Wallet

Wallet

Our actions effect not only ourselves but others, second hand smoke causes lung cancer. Obviously a healthy lifestyle increases your odds of longevity compared to the opposite.

#18     Jun 17, 2011
  9. sure it tips the odds in your favor but the people who live healthy get sick. ever heard of things called germs and viruses?
    exposed to certian germs it doesnt matter what your lifestyle is. you will get sick.

#19     Jun 17, 2011
  10. stu

stu

My view then.
    Punishment as in meaning to intentionally impose a penalty?
    Then Nature does't punish behavior. It merely reacts with remorseless indifference to events that naturally occur, in ways it possibly can.
    For instance death is not nature's punishment for old age which it would be by what you are suggesting.

You are unjustifiably applying human attributes and emotions to something that has pitiless unconcern for whether people are drinking too much, too little, or not enough.
    The natural chemical and biological consequences that will inevitably occur, or not, from those events is what nature is.
    Unwanted pregnancies are neither wanted nor unwanted by nature itself. The natural ability to procreate and all the natural and various outcomes of it, has nothing to do with whether or not nature itself wishes for it, or considers consequences as undesirable.

What you call boundaries is just nature happening. The universe is observed exactly how it would be were it devoid of design, purpose and not functioning by good or evil. Just complete unbiased, impartial, unconcerned natural reaction.
    People punish people. Nature itself doesn't impose penalties. It merely responds naturally without concern.

I think your view , as it is also portrayed via Christian belief particularly, is to make the human condition seem more important than it possibly can be. It’s an arrogance and is far too self-important in my view.
    Like a spoilt child who thinks everything should evolve around itself. Who can't bear the idea that the observable world, the universe, has no special concern for it.

#20     Jun 17, 2011