The worst part about trading...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bungrider, Aug 8, 2002.

1. rs7

rs7

yeah Rigel, that sucks too!

#51     Aug 10, 2002
  2. Janitor

Janitor

I trade from home and love it, but it's the isolation that's probably the worst aspect.

However, I imagine it's better than trading in an office because I imagine pro office traders as probably being a lot like used car salesmen or pawn shop owners or cops. Fat, emotionally underdeveloped, cussing alot... tell me I'm wrong?

#52     Aug 10, 2002
  3. JORGE

JORGE

#53     Aug 10, 2002
  4. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

worst part is .. the uncertainty ... I'm someone who's used to always knowing and being able to accomplish exactly, specifically, what I set out to do.

in trading, you have to be able to take stops. you have to be okay with the idea of losing a little money in the pursuit of gaining more. routinely.

you have to live with missing that 1 point run in qlgc when you were trading nvls for .5 instead. and right, re the family saying "hey you must've have a great day" when the market ran a lot, when in fact your bigger, or at least most consistent wins, came instead from grinding out regular small 1/2 pt wins in chop markets. .

you have to deal with the uncertainty, the lack of logic, 'fairness', the lack of rhyme or reason in much of Why things move the way they do. "more buyers than sellers" or vice versa, is the only reason for the moves. spotting volume and using all the technical indicators, can help. reading the tape is a big help. as is combining the indicators, like sector % moves, whether we're having an in/out day etc.

in time, I suppose, we all work to be able to accomplish successful pattern recognition, more precision, more accuracy, in spotting potentially good moves. but, the uncertainty still sucks, and always will. that's what I dislike most about trading.

I can try to get more precise, more accurate, over the years, but I can't get to 80 or 90% or whatever. that's kind of disconcerting - no matter how hard you try, much of it comes to knowing when not to trade, and limiting losses when you screw up. I've learned to take fast profits when right, that helps, but there's always something new to learn from the market, and from each other. one reason I like this board so much.

my .015

ken

how do you guys deal with the uncertainty? it provides much of the excitement, that's for sure.. :)

#54     Aug 10, 2002
  5. ChrisM

ChrisM

I have been trying to accept the fact that market is right no matter what (even if I lose), and it seems to work better through the time, or maybe - I just got older ?:)

#55     Aug 10, 2002
  6. It dawned on me once a long time ago that most of what I was certain about was really quite uncertain after all. That part of trading seemed rather natural thereafter.

This doesn't mean that something inside me doesn't seek certainty. Only that I'm reconciled that true certainty isn't going to be found in a human endeavor.

Having said that, the markets do obey certain natural laws.

The things that are truly certain are unseen.

#56     Aug 10, 2002
  7. Rigel

Rigel

Yeah. Time.
    Many of the attributes of an art. Subtleties, flows, curves, meaningful abstracts(like nature, like art), (no certainties, mechanical fits, pat constructs(like science(science is not alive))).

#57     Aug 10, 2002
  8. ChrisM

ChrisM

So... there is some beauty inside then, isn`t it ?

#58     Aug 10, 2002
  9. Jordan

Jordan

rs7 and Rigel you guys are on it! You have nailed two points right on the head.

#59     Aug 10, 2002
  10. Rigel

Rigel

It whispers.

#60     Aug 10, 2002