The world’s biggest exports by country

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dealmaker, Nov 8, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

Sprout likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

China's biggest export is computers and US Petroleum products? Who would have thought: China is high tech and we are low tech, same as Saudi? o_O

Cuddles likes this.
  3. https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Press-Release/current_press_release/ft900.pdf

Regarding these United States, "Petroleum products" (this would include refined petroleum, yes?) does not seem to be top export according to above document (by End-Use category on pg. 7, by principal commodities on pg. 18; not exactly sure what these mean, perhaps someone better versed can chime in)

I don't think this map is accurate

ironchef likes this.
  4. Sig

Sig

I hate infographics like this. So if you imported a trillion dollars in crude and exported a trillion and one dollars in refined petroleum products this would call that your biggest export, which while perhaps technically true isn't really very reflective of economic activity of a country. Add to that as @kwayker22 pointed out it's not even accurate to the first order. Similar deal with China, for every $100 in price for a computer the Chinese manufacturing portion accounts for a couple bucks, the rest is in the IP, little of which was developed in or accrues to China. But I guess they count the full $100 as a "Chinese export".

ironchef likes this.
  5. Ilgan

Ilgan

I believe that Asia will be the game changer in the future. Those countries just need a leader to unite all the countries of the region. If the sub-continent region, i.e, especially India and Pakistan have good relations with China, they can dominant every field of life.