The Worlds 10th largest economy (California) goes into default tommorrow (7/1/09)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I am suggesting a vehicle tax on the amount of fuel consumed; therefore, a "sort of" tax on highway usage.

If you have an expensive car and don't drive it, your fee is considerably higher than the guy who drives $50k miles a year in an older vehicle.

#41     Jul 1, 2009
  2. Tom B

Tom B

#42     Jul 1, 2009
  3. Aboushi

Aboushi

Panic causes irrational reactions. It allows certain parties to act without question. We have seen what that might lead to (invading Iraq) . It excuses domestic terrorism, crime, and drug use. One must think carefully and study his/her options. Freaking out and bitching will not go far. You want to help California? And you are serious? Start a group and donate your time to clean up some of it streets. This will save the state money and ignite a unified effort to save a state at its darkest moment yet. You might even end up on the news. But if you want to sit on your ass and complain, then go ahead.......

#43     Jul 1, 2009
  4. AC3

AC3

This will work out great when those IOU's start ending up in the mailboxes in place of welfare checks....I have an idea why don't you hand deliver them and explain the economics of sweeping up the neighborhood.

#44     Jul 1, 2009
  5. 4XQs

4XQs

IOUs, so who'll be clearing the OTC-trades :)

As for business opportunities; prisons (crime will rise), moving trucks (exodus), prostitution and pimping (women selling the one thing they have left).

Welcome to the Hotel California...

#45     Jul 1, 2009
  6. where the working poor can check out anytime they like, but they can never leave.

#46     Jul 1, 2009
  7. Eight

Eight

I live in California... I'm happy today, I guess my inner anarchist is enjoying watching the left going into an embarrassing [well actually they are incapable of being embarrassed, they will blame Bush and Schwarzenegger anyhow] death spiral due to their thirty or forty year reign...

Somehow I don't feel like fixing my state at all... how is it my job to fix the f#$king state? I vote, fix my house and my car, work real hard to be economically viable and I try not to screw up properties public or private, that's the end of my responsibility... I vote for people that will fix the state by imposing rule of law to create an environment where well motivated people can thrive... and that sure as hell is never anybody on the left...

#47     Jul 1, 2009
  8. Humpy

Humpy

1.Mr muscles could make a good start by sweeping the streets - more his level of expertise
    2.Cali has plenty of money - so have a 100% tax on everything over a million $$$
    3.Clear the prisons on an offend again and its the chop
    4. No pensions, benefits or other sissy perks - anyone too sick to make it to the soup kitchen/work gets the chop.
    5. No politicians, lawyers or other parasites
    6. holidays are a thing of the past
    7. Washington appoints action team
    etc.

Until the State is sane and solvent again.

#48     Jul 1, 2009
  9. As a tribute to California, and their brilliant IOU payment plan, I offer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_u8BJ83-wOs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_u8BJ83-wOs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#49     Jul 1, 2009
  10. AND THE MARKET SOARS!

Link for first comment about argentinean patacones. It was the prelude (2001) to the peso falling from 1:1 to 3:1 to the dollar (early 2002?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patacón_(bond)

Not sure if they are still floating around as I havent been in 2 years, but Argentina is due for a new currency anyways so no biggie.

#50     Jul 1, 2009