The Wizzard of Lies, 8 pm EST

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Pekelo, May 20, 2017.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

HBO's Madoff movie with DeNiro tonight at 8 pm:

http://www.hbo.com/movies/the-wizard-of-lies/video/trailer.html?autoplay=true

Personally I can't believe the sons didn't know it. If they didn't they were complicit by stupidity. The whistleblower had an article years earlier published in a major magazine and these Harward educated sons couldn't figure it out by themselves (after reading it) or ask questions???

2. dealmaker

dealmaker

They knew it of-course which leads to 2 possibilities 1) they were complicit 2) loyalty to their dad thus they did nothing.

3. comagnum

comagnum

A con needs a greedy victim to pull off their scam on.

vanzandt likes this.
  4. Several times I thought of whether Madoff was actually expecting/awaiting another huge crash of financial markets, then he would simply close his entire fund by returning the balance left to clients. Hence, without too many solid complaints from his clients due to too many failed funds impacted by the crash.

That would probably save his whole scheme/scam, according to his original plan. But the market crash in year 2008 didn't work out to help him much, unexpectedly. So he confessed to his sons for the (failed) scam.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

If you don't have HBO, you can have 1 month free trial by signing up for HBO Now on your mobile device/tablet.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

The official story is that they didn't, and relatives' stories tend to back that up. I just can't believe that after an article spelling out the scheme, these grown up businessmen were so stupid that they didn't wise up. After that the plausible deniability didn't work...

Now we are supposed to feel sorry for them that their millionaire lifestyle got broken. Anyhow, more about it after the movie...

7. dealmaker

dealmaker

I am not sure rest of the family other than the core were privy to it otherwise the con would have surfaced whenever a family friction materialized.

PS Madoff movie was on CNBC this past weekend played by Richard Dreyfuss

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

The boys cut off both parents after the collapse and that strongly indicates they really didn't know about it. I just don't particularily feel sorry for them, because they could have stopped it earlier had they used their brains...

9. They had two sons.
    One of the sons committed suicide by hanging himself.
    The surviving son told his mother that if she continued to visit Madoff in prison she would be prevented from visiting her grandchildren. So, she doesn't make house calls to Madoff anymore.

10. just21

just21

Last years 10 part mini series starring Richard Dreifeus as Madoff was very good as well. Available at all good torrent sites.

#10     May 21, 2017