The whole buy because everybody hates it argument.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pathus21, Feb 28, 2009.

1. cstfx

cstfx

spam spam spam spam spam spam

#11     Mar 1, 2009
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

There's an old Wall Street adage, never bet on the end of the world cause it only happens once.

Any other time, for LONG term buy and hold types your observations would be worthy of consideration.

At the risk of sounding like or being labeled a gloom and doomer. I'm inclined to believe we are watching the "end" of the world (at least as we've known it) unfolding before our eyes.
    The once proud and powerful US of A
    is imo for all intents and purposes bankrupt. It just hasn't been officially declared or recognized yet. The feds "solution" is the same and only "solution" they have ever come up with. Spend exorbitant sums of money. And when it doesn't improve the situation, spend even more. We're sliding headlong into a global depression the likes of which has never been seen before.

And for the record I sincerely hope I am wrong.

#12     Mar 1, 2009
  3. That's a keen observation. I am bullish Hormel stock because everyone will start hoarding cans of Spam during the depression. It's pretty tasty with mayo and bread!

#13     Mar 1, 2009
  4. ask warren buffet... brk just posted the worst year ever and he himself isnt doing too well with his most recent purchases... (of course one could argue hes a longterm guy, but then you can say since hes also a value guy you gotta say he overpaid buying so early)

#14     Mar 1, 2009
  5. pathus21

pathus21

I think investing for the long term is just a bullshit lie brokers tell you when they fuck up your investment account.

#15     Mar 1, 2009
  6. lol... along with 'core holdings' and avg down.

#16     Mar 1, 2009
  7. pathus21

pathus21

If you "invest in 25 year cycles" how could you ever be proven wrong. You could just say oh give it time. And by the time you get sick of their bullshit they have already raped your for account 1-5 years or longer. The average person who knows nothing about the markets gets robbed their whole life.

#17     Mar 1, 2009
  8. true... also ppl who invest in mutual funds only... iirc ~80% of mutual funds do not outperform the markets, and rape you on fees... so you have to ask yourself 'whats the point?'

#18     Mar 1, 2009
  9. pathus21

pathus21

The whole wealth management industry is bullshit. Passive buy and hold using cheap indexes was the only way to go. Obviously it has come to light that this is also a sub par strategy especially if you don't have 25 years to put your money away and not touch it.

You can either become a trader and make your living in this manner or you can become more of a short term investor. Both of these methods would involve a considerable amount of time and skill.

Perhaps the best thing to do with your money is actively invest it. That is start a business or invest in businesses others are starting. Forgo the market altogether.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I have no idea what to do with my money given the fact that I do not want to actively trade it.

#19     Mar 1, 2009
  10. charts

charts

.. as long as you're still considering buying you're not scared enough .. :)

#20     Mar 1, 2009