The white race

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lilduckling, Jul 26, 2008.

1. How do you figure that? Hispania was the entire iberian peninsula, it was my understanding a good portion of (for example) english/irish actually carried genes from all over the area, unless that doco i saw was bogus.

#11     Jul 28, 2008

2. yes, you are right, and Hispania would seem to lead that the people from that region are hispanic, but the fact is they are spanish. Hispanics are from Latin America

spanish from the Iberian region were the world super power that ruled the seas from the mid 1500 to 1700.

US Census classifies Hispanics as non-white

#12     Jul 28, 2008
  3. Actually, the Census has in the last 30 years come up with a new category ....... "hispanic origin" Its separate from the race and instead is "Ethnicity"

Because you can have white Latinos or non-white latinos.

I was wrong on the above post

#13     Jul 28, 2008
  4. What the heck-wiki mislead me!!:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

The Portuguese, who were definitely, NOT Spanish, had a pretty good show of things in the early era in that regard though, fair enough, their influence was waning.
    Yet brazil isn't part of latin america?
    Could have fooled me, and the Brazilians.

Cut a long story short, classification is silly, if a spaniard/continental iberian is caucasian, but a latin american is non-caucasian, then thats retarded, but par for course with us policy.

Btw, the british, french, dutch and portuguese would argue their points about that claim, they certainly had their niches.
    (regarding sea superiority)
    But, how does nationality apply to species/subspecies? I doubt it does.

#14     Jul 28, 2008
  5. The Portuguese were the undisputed kings of the seas from early 1400s up until the early 1500s then Spain began to take over. England was never above Spain, close at some periods, but not higher. Only when we get to the 1800s is when we see Britian becoming a super power, however by that time, the golden age of the seas was long gone.

#15     Jul 28, 2008
  6. Curious you didn't mention the french, but then this proves again discussing naval superiority is easier than discussing race.
    Or baguettes.

Particularly, when the absurdity of what your saying via census comes into play, again, oddly enough, it boils down to personal identification, and with some luck, knowing who your ancestors were to forge accurate records-fact is, most people have only a rough idea, and are lucky to have that, everything else is a presumption.

#16     Jul 28, 2008
  7. You cant go by where people live now but by their origins.

For instance, Mexico was settled by Spain.
    To this day, you can have both white Latinos, and non white latinos there. Same with Brazil.

Because what matters is the origins of people, we can not go by where someone lives today, but where their origins are.

There are NO white origins coming from the new world (Canada, United States, Central America, South America)

Entire continent was settled by Europeans..... who ended up mixing with the native Indians and the blacks from Africa.

Blacks came to the US in the mid 1600s!! Most have no clue they came that early.

They first started out working the tobacco fields in Jamestown Virginia. Jamestown was a colony 13 years before the pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts.

But the Colony in Jamestown had to many problems with Indians, and were the first to get black slaves... just before New York did (which was in the latter 1600s)

At that time slaves ...... the very first slaves were much diffrent the the slaves we are familiar with.

These slaves had rights.. some even sueing their masters in court, and they were paid for their work. They just had to stay put. They were known as indentured servants. Not all were black, some were white.

In the late 1600s things changed and the slaves lost all power and were no longer paid.... and began being treated like animals.

Man i got off course.... but i love history

#17     Jul 28, 2008
  8. the French, Dutch, English, Portuguese, and Spain, were the big 5 heavy weights that emegered from the period of the Dark ages.

They were constantly at war with one another.. would sign treaties, break em .... and go at war again..... After the Portuguese lost the reign .... you could rank them like this, in order of the most powerful.:

Spain
    English, or British
    French (almost a tie with the English)
    Portuguese
    Dutch

Keep in mind anyone of these could kick the other ones ass at any period in History, we can only go by the over all average of naval power over the span of 250 years

#18     Jul 28, 2008
  9. unless you're like me, and know exactly where you come from..... since i wasnt born in the US

:D :D

#19     Jul 28, 2008
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Spain was known as "The Country where the sun never sets" ...thats how big their empire was....

#20     Jul 28, 2008