The welfare state is destroying the West

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Dec 3, 2012.

1. here is an in depth explanation of the op, it says happy days are here again.:D.

#11     Dec 4, 2012
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

#12     Dec 4, 2012
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Out Of The Fiscal Cliff And Into The Fire: Art Cashin On The Real Economic Malaise

Forget the Fiscal Cliff: it is merely a much needed economic distraction for the next 3-4 months (distracting from what? Why Europe of course). Yes, it will be resolved, and yes taxes will go up, and yes, debates over it will most likely be carried over into 2013 and nothing will be compromised until the ultimate debt ceiling deadline (because it is really a Fiscal Cliff-Debt Ceiling package deal) is hit some time in March 2013, but eventually one or both parties will cave, right after the market plunges to put it all into the proper perspective as it did around the time of TARP and the August 2011 debt ceiling debate, and a resolution will materialize. The bigger issue has nothing to do with the Fiscal Cliff, which is indeed a sideshow. The bigger issue, as Art Cashin explains, has everything to do with a secular decline in the US economy, where a 1% growth rate will soon be the "New Killing It", where millions more (in part-time workers) will soon be let go, and where businesses no longer generate the cash flows needed to stay open. Art Cashin explains.

From Art Cashin (UBS)

#13     Dec 4, 2012
  4. My name is on top of the 100-year-old, four generation family business, or a 75-year-old, third-generation business, and I have to shut the doors.

Imo, something more systemic is at work, business's which have survived the depression etc now fold.

[probably fixed cost, which business didn't have in the past, liability, ue insurance, econ regs, osha compliance,

#14     Dec 4, 2012
  5. I'm not interested in tallying it up but I'd bet there are thousands of rules and regulations restaurants have to comply with in today's economy comapred to 50 years ago, You'd think the hamburger would be a thousand times better. or service would be better.
    What have we traded for all this regulation? A burger is a burger, a waiter is a waiter and a bun is still a bun, wtf.

#15     Dec 4, 2012
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

In the restaurant business, I'm sure that's some of it. In the brick and mortar retail side, however, I think the internet is just taking over. Internet retail can just sell it cheaper - they don't have the margin requirements it takes for leases, all those employees (and the subsequent costs employees carry), and all the locations and overhead.

Please tell me why I would go to Best Buy to purchase a flat screen when I can get it cheaper delivered to my door for less money??

#16     Dec 4, 2012
  7. We've lost our "Liberties"... and gained "Safety, Fairness, Social Justice", so say the revenooers.

DAMN... that stuff is expensive!

:mad:

#17     Dec 4, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

LOL...just off the news wire. The funniest one was the last one.

*OBAMA SAYS WON'T AGREE TO PLAN WITH `VAGUE' REVENUE INCREASES
    *OBAMA SAYS WE HAVE `POTENTIAL' OF GETTING DEAL ON FISCAL CLIFF
    *OBAMA SAYS NO FISCAL CLIFF DEAL `WITHOUT TAXES ON THE RICH'
    *OBAMA SAYS U.S. ECONOMY `POISED TO TAKE OFF' AFTER CLIFF DEAL

#18     Dec 4, 2012
  9. pspr

pspr

You must have missed one.

*OBAMA SAYS NO DEAL WITHOUT EQUAL DOLLAR STIMULUS TO OFFESET TAXES ON RICH

#19     Dec 4, 2012
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Was that really on there or did you make it up?

#20     Dec 4, 2012