The Way Forward For Independent Traders

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by journeyman, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Thanks for your reponse. I appreciate it.

What you suggest as a compliment to ET and this topic is a great additional idea. (The white papers). Having small write ups on snippets might make them more usable especially when they may not have benn considered by a person building something.

I have an old primer of Lippman's out of Bell Labs and, with your example, and a skim I get what you people mean by snippets in general.

I mostly thought of snippets as code that was innovative and added "tricks of the trade" stuff which changes performance by tweaking. These would be slipped into what is there and then what is there would perk better.

The "getter" comment is just part of being old fashioned. It is probably just fine for this part of making money to be kept the way it has been. Years ago when LINUX had a crew centered in Paris, it was a different world. people went back anf orth at a rapid rate getting to a point where it could be seen how the computer could be used to help people make money. There was a gulf between programmers and the financial industry people.

Before that, I remember when the concept of a computer operating in real time (IBM's SAGE) was a new idea. It could be used for airline reservations, etc. LOL...

Oh well.

Snippets are snippets.

Thanks for your response and I'll take your top of the response portion as terrific confirming advice. In ET, I am just a support for the guys on point for PVT and SCT. I don't think the fully automated stuff (with tons of snippets, I now see) would be something to hang out in the wind. It will be done as a Wizard thing...thinking mostly of the guy Toto revealed when he pulled the green curtain open.

That's where that old Excel called the Yellow Brick Road came from.

Your white paper suggestion is the nuts. It could be used to formalize the various levels of performance that are possible using various techniques. Rigorously backing stuff up for the record with results that ties into the automated backup trading systems will make the trading periodicals look like child's play. There never was a vehicle for this in either academia or the industry at top levels. It ill be neat to see some panels formed to do the prep for the white papers.

Good luck with your idea.

#31     Mar 31, 2007
  2. LMAO:

#32     Apr 2, 2007
  3. @ TraderMojo
    actually I read the link to your older thread and you seem to have once had the same idea. The whole (quote): "Collaborate on ideas, compete on implementation" is kind of what I was thinking.

The totally random replies you got in that thread, and the general lack of usefulness that resulted, I think reflects the nature of the internet (read one sentence, then randomly reply) rather than the quality of your ideas.

I think that "idea" is too loose. I'd change your slogan to: "Collaborate on implementation, compete on specifics."

I look at it like this. Take TradeStation. Everyone who has TradeStation starts with the same vanilla implementation of a trading system. Profit comes from using it, finding an edge and squeezing dollars from it. Two people, same software, different specifics applied to the same general system: TradeStattion.

So let's say you and I both code in C++ and use our Broker APIs directly. That gives us some common ground. Maybe I implement saving data to a database in one way, you in another. I think that if you shared your way with me and I with you there would be a chance that the result for each of us is beneficial.

Now all the noise will come in, this GannGalt guy will trash me some more and the true nature of the internet will see this vaporise into a void of misunderstanding and posting to boost ego in some imaginary headspace where forums even matter.

But I still think it is a good idea. In fact I am thinking that a large scale space like ET is actually bad, the worst place to pursue this. A quiet and relatively unknown space where people who want to simply say: I coded this -> you're welcome to have it, is what is needed. That way these people who feeled compelled to post to be negative or personally offensive might have little effect (as little as hope).

Please don't reply to me that I am being hypocritical given that you took offence to my "chump" remark. I kinda got the distinct impression that your prior post was both sarcastic and haughty. In any case what's the point? Exactly.... (just watch the Italians with their bad English misunderstand the intent of every word :p )

#33     Apr 2, 2007
  4. I'll tell you this. If you stop posting stuff, there's a chance this may start working...

I keed, I keed. :p

=============

OK, I'll be a bit serious...

Giving an example with system trading gets off topic, with all the wanna-bes analyzing my post like they can actually "relate" to my post so I'll talk in very broad terms.

Let's say you're a discretionary trader who trades equities form back in the days from the early-mid 90s. Someone tells you that VIX is a great tool to follow. You don't expect someone to give you a way to make money out of it. But you follow it and figure out why and how it's a good thing to follow.

It's the same thing with snippets.

Of course, don't take VIX out of proportion... it's only an example... I know how ET newbies like to take things out of proportion.

#34     Apr 2, 2007
  5. It should be first by platform, then strategy - structuring it this way, developer-centric, keeps the area on-topic.

I sent you a PM. Let me know what you think.

#35     Apr 2, 2007
  6. This guy is in running for the Biggest Wanker on ET Award!!

OTF LMFAO!!!!!

What a jerk.....

#36     Apr 3, 2007
  7. I'm not the one who can't program or trying to loot others.

#37     Apr 4, 2007
  8. bidask

bidask

#38     Apr 4, 2007
  9. rosy2

rosy2

this already dead?

#39     Apr 17, 2007