The War on Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Bickz, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Posting scripture can never ridicule or belittle as scripture according to Christians is divine and inerrant; therefore, its posting can only be revered and respected. Explain how it can be otherwise.

Seneca

#21     Nov 12, 2008
  2. Bickz

Bickz

No, you missed the point. My post is not about one movie or another, or any one occurance or another, as you are trying to make it out to be. I'm not going to play that game with you or anyone else. My point has to do with the more and more prevalent attacks that are taking place on Christians and Christianity as a whole. And that is FACT, regardless oh how much you try to point to one little thing in order to dismiss it, regardless of how you ignore the other issues on the table for your favorite one you want to defend, and regardless of how you twist scripture to mean what you desire.

The true irony of this thread... I stated very clearly in my original post that i had no problem with atheist who were not seeking to tear down Christianity, but wanted to live and let live. Therefore, its much more likely that the only ones who would respond to this thread would be those who DO seek to tear down Christianity as they are likely the only ones who would take exception with what i posted. And you have proved my original point with each and every one of your posts.

#22     Nov 12, 2008
  3. If it is what you say, then why don't we allow slavery, murder as proscribed by the Bible, selling your daughter as a sex slave, etc.

Laws are created by men and women not by holy text. Our higher authority is ourselves, like it or not. And we do a pretty good job of it. People have done a better job than scripture: consider slavery and murder. The Bible allows it while man made laws outlaw it.

Of course the Bible is inconsistent and contradictory many many times and therefore, the whole concept of religion based on it is in doubt.

Why the stink: Because there are many Christians that firmly believe they are persecuted to the point that a persecution syndrome exists for them.

It is based basically on the belief that anytime the government or individual free expression goes against their beliefs, they call it persecution. And that is just not true.

Seneca

#23     Nov 12, 2008
  4. Bickz

Bickz

I already revealed your tactics in this earlier.

#24     Nov 12, 2008
  5. Bickz

Bickz

And conveniently enough, that is exactly what you have been trying to make this about -- ONE instance, rather than the whole as I have stated.

Ha!

#25     Nov 12, 2008
  6. Bickz

Bickz

#26     Nov 12, 2008
  7. Wallet

Wallet

I love religious debates, specially when people take scripture out of context, you can't just lift one verse and establish a point of view, the entire passage, (more over the book) needs to considered, to whom it was written and the reason, along side the events and culture of that time.

You're wrong my friend on your assumption that mankind can rightly govern. Mankind's nature is depraved and left to his own devices will exterminate himself given enough time.

Man has not the capacity to properly govern or save himself, but that has never dampened his self belief and self attempted pursuit of divinity.

You need to look no further that the book of Genesis, and the tower of Babel.

Man was instructed to go forth over the earth and populate it, but Man listened to his own voice, his own government and decided to group together and build a monument to itself to give itself a place and name in heaven.

It was so self centered that the building materials couldn't be local rock or stone, it had to be man made brick.

Man has always been on a quest to make himself more than he is, and answer to only himself. It's the oldest lie.

Sorry Seneca, I dont buy you debate.

And to stay on topic, there's a zillion instances where Christian people and public examples are under attack, asked to leave, not allowed to present themselves......... while other religions are promoted and protected by court orders.

Last post here for me.

#27     Nov 12, 2008
  8. ==================
    Good points,BickZ;
    good discussion.Except Bible clubs & Bible classes are still in American schools , Argentina schools, Russian schools.....

Also that slavery in the Hebrew old testament is NOT as Chevy Chase joked ''jump down turnaround pick a bale of cotton,LOL'.Keep reading, the old testament worker[slave] had the option after working 7 years to say''I love my[Hebrew] master, I love my wife & dont want to leave......''
    =======================================

And as they say in TX, God controls the weather,
    your mother in law, & your heart beat;
    AND if you want to tick him off, go right ahead!!!!!:D:

#28     Nov 12, 2008
  9. Bickz

Bickz

LOL! And don't forget the IRS.

#29     Nov 12, 2008
  10. DIfficult for many of us to believe that the Believers could possibly be so myopic.

The Christian-informed drive to remake American society 'in a manner more consistent with theistic ideals', as the latest propagandists put it, is exactly the same as what the radical Muslims want to do - impose their faith-based beliefs on the entire population. Anti-choice, anti-gay rights, anti-scientific research, anti-education (and the list goes on), the proselytizing Christians share much in common with the Mullahs who seek to rewind modern society and get us back to a time when women knew their place and the punishment for heresy was severe.

It's hard to comprehend that the Believers don't understand that we, the majority in a society which is secular in its public face, should not have to make our decisions based on the fairy-tale belief system of individuals who believe in some nebulous 'Higher Power'. Public policy, such as decisions pertaining to stem cell research, should not be influenced by the heartless, doctrinaire pronouncements of the religious right.

Why can't the Believers keep their faith and the practice of in their own homes and their places of worship?

Thankfully, in a few hundred years, all of this will seem like a bad dream, and kids in school will be taught about the efforts of the religious right in the same was a kids today are taught about the efforts of the Flat-Earthers.

#30     Nov 12, 2008