The War on Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Bickz, Nov 12, 2008.

1. HOw can posting scripture be inflammatory?

1. The DaVinci Code was FICTION, based on a NOVEL. Calling it anti religious is silly at best. It was a good flick.

2. Maher's movie is a free expression of his opinion as protected by the 1st Amd just as the movie made by Mel Gibson was pro religion. Seems fair and balanced to me.

3. Tax exempts by law are not allowed to be partisan. Personally, any 5013c that acts to endorse or support any candidate should lose its status and be subject to fines.

"IRC 501(c)(3) organizations that engage in any political activity may at the discretion of the IRS either immediately lose their tax-exempt status recognition, or be compelled to pay fines."

4.HOUSE-I watch it often and don't find any anti religion in it. I guess if you look hard enough you might as I don't recall him curing anyone via prayer.

5. Any examples of attacks on ministers; I've not heard of any.

6. Why not lawsuits? We are guaranteed a right to this via the laws of the USA. How the suit turns out is what matters; anyone can sue anyone at anytime for just about any reason.

You seem to want to be persecuted.

Seneca

our next Bible Passages:

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. " (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room (or closet.) and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret..." (Matthew 6:5-6 RSV).

#11     Nov 12, 2008
  2. More scripture:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

" "Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

#12     Nov 12, 2008
  3. Wallet

Wallet

Posting scripture in itself is not inflammatory, posting anything in a manner to ridicule or belittle, imho would be.

I don't understand your significance in posting scripture that pertains to slavery?

While slavery and indentured servitude is tabbo in today's society, in biblical times it was a way of life and common practice. I'd say any laws governing slavery would be taken as a positive in comparison to the norm of that era.

#13     Nov 12, 2008
  4. This article only focuses on the negative. There is a small christian majority that focuses on pushing their agenda. There is a small secular minority that think ALL Christians are aggressively pushing their agenda.

Neither is worth spending any time debating about which is why 90% of the threads on this forum are worthless.

#14     Nov 12, 2008
  5. And don't forget, it is a very bad idea to hit your father or mother:

"Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death." (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Don't mess around:
    " a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death." (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Actually, I got no problem with killing the guy who screws someones wife, but WHY KILL HER TOO?

Best not work on Sunday (or is it Saturday):
    "The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

#15     Nov 12, 2008
  6. as long as Christmas is Christmas,I don't care

#16     Nov 12, 2008
  7. Bickz

Bickz

Again, who do you think you are fooling? The anti-Christian themes are quite obvious, and to deny that is just... sad and ineffective.

I also noticed that you responded to most of my examples but not your OWN post or the one aboce yours in which I was immediately attacked simply because you both did not agree with what i wrote. That, and that alone proves my point.

In case you forgot what you said...

#17     Nov 12, 2008
  8. Bickz

Bickz

seneca_roman is posting scriptures without any context or understanding of their purpose or meaning in an attempt to contrast them with today's mainstream thoughts/attitudes hoping that the passages will look odd in comparison, and that people will associate that 'oddness' with the Word of God as a whole, and therefore reject it. Its a typical atheist trick.

And it further proves my point of the anti-Christian sentiment that individuals such as he or she has been pushing. Any normal, well adjusted individual would not stoop to studying scripture (or anything else for that matter) for the sole purpose of trying to make it look bad, or unleash all kinds of hate against it.

#18     Nov 12, 2008
  9. I think you missed the point:

Take the movies: one is pro religion and the other is not. So what! Our laws permit both. It is fair and balanced. People get to watch what they want and decide.

It is not an attack on religion but an attempt to make money.

And lest you forget, the laws of the State matter:
    It is Romans 13: 1-7

“Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which god has established. The authorities that exist have been established by god. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what god has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he shall commend you. For he is god’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is god’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. There fore it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are god’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes, if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”

So if the law allows anti religion, it is divinely inspired according to this passage and must be followed by those who use the Bible as the basis of their faith.

Or do you think otherwise?

Seneca

#19     Nov 12, 2008
  10. Wallet

Wallet

Senca,

Lol, your choice of scripture must be an attempt to take out of context verses trying to put forth some tone of contempt?

I still don’t understand why people are offended by the Bible and Christianity other than the fact it imposes a higher authority and promotes the fact that the individual is sinful ? The Bible is either right or wrong. If it’s wrong, there’s not one true God, Jesus is not his only begotten Son, everything in it is false; then Christians should be pitied more than anyone as their lives are spent in pursuit of a lie, and they present no problem, nor real opposition to your perspective. Actually if there’s no God then why have any moral or legal system at all? If there’s no higher moral authority, then do what ever the heck you want to, lie, cheat, steal, murder…what ever makes you feel good as life is short and when it’s over you’re just worm dirt. Might as well live it up while it lasts.

Ah! But there’s human moral standards, gotta be better than those criminals, at least I’m not like them, haven’t killed anyone, robbed any banks. Here is the fallacy that many believe.

Ask any large group of people if they feel they will go to heaven and why and the vast majority will respond yes, that they are a good person, in effect they haven’t been all those things mentioned above.

People judge themselves against the measure of others (imperfect) but God judges man against the measure of himself (perfect). So perfect that he views hatred towards another person the same as murder, lust for another the same as adultery. When any of us are judged in that manner we are all guilty and doomed.

A person who has never sought God their entire life, never spent more than a passing thought as to the nature or how to please God. Why would that person want to spend an eternity with Him?

If the Bible’s wrong then what difference does it matter and why the stink?

But if it’s right, and God is who he says, then be careful about questioning the Creator of everything in existence.

Enough said.

Peace.

#20     Nov 12, 2008