The Wall of Stupid

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

the devil's in the details. If Trump/WH thinks we're over paying, open up bidding to non-bribing/donating companies:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/immi...85a76a-b566-11e9-8f6c-7828e68cb15f_story.html

For Fisher, the project has been a showcase for what it says are innovative techniques that install the steel fencing faster and cheaper than its competitors. Despite Cramer’s efforts to influence and the president’s endorsement, Fisher was not picked by the Army Corps in recent rounds of bidding.

Fisher sued the government in April, alleging improprieties with the Army Corps procurement process.

During previous bids, the Army Corps said the company’s design did not meet its requirements and lacked regulatory approvals. DHS officials also told the Army Corps in March that Fisher’s work on a barrier project in San Diego came in late and over budget.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immi...661132-1568-11ea-bf81-ebe89f477d1e_story.html

Trump has repeatedly pushed for Fisher to get a wall-building contract, urging officials with the Army Corps of Engineers to pick the firm — only to be told that Fisher’s bids did not meet standards. Trump’s entreaties on behalf of the company have concerned some officials who are unaccustomed to a president getting personally involved in the intricacies of government contracting.

The company’s construction plan has not been approved by the International Boundary and Water Commission, which regulates construction in the Rio Grande flood plain, but Fisher and We Build the Wall have won praise from senior U.S. Border Patrol officials.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    #271     Dec 4, 2019
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

I'd like to see the details on this. "Regulatory approval". They were probably held up by the EPA because the EPA didn't like the way they wrote their environmental impact study regarding the Salton Sea Sand-lice or something similar.
    Link?

#272     Dec 4, 2019
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

I only have those WaPo stories. C'mon Vanz, you're not so disingenuous as to believe Trump didn't see the CEO sucking up to him on FOX, saw they donated to his campaign, and chose them over having open bidding are you?

#273     Dec 4, 2019
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Well, he probably did, but Trump has a history of liking people like that. People that have a can-do attitude that say they can do something better and cheaper. Bottom line is we pay too much for all this crap. It doesn't need to be that way. The Army Corp of Engineers is one of the most bloated bureaucratic pigs we have. They generate paperwork about generating more paperwork. Then throw the EPA in the mix, Federal and State... and pfff... nothing ever gets done. There are so many well paid do nothing positions in those organizations... they make a career out of never making a decision for fear of some unknown, unforeseen something that will come back and bite them. They live in a world of CYA.

Tbh H4, this is the main reason so many small business people supported Trump from the start. He speaks their language because he's been there on a grander scale. He knows what its like to have to wait 12 months for some bs agency to their job before you can move so much as one teaspoonful of dirt on a project.

You and Tony can go on about how Trump was elected because he appealed to white supremacist's and all that bs... and maybe he did, I don't know.... but I can tell you this for sure... a huge part of his base, the people that voted for him and got excited by his candidacy, are the small business owners that (literally) get their hands dirty every friggin day, busting their ass hours on end to make a better life for their families and employees... and all they see is a government that is riddled with bureaucracy and personnel whose sole purpose it appears is to prevent them from doing just that. If you've never been there you won't understand, but its a fact H4.

That guy said he could build that wall for almost 75% less money and the man knows what he's doing. So what he pandered to Trump on Fox. Its time we worried about results and not chicken-shit stuff like perhaps Fisher Sand and Gravel doesn't hire enough minority women or something like that to meet the Corp of Engineer's guidelines. Whatever. You get my point.

#274     Dec 4, 2019
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

I get your point, I get that you're willing to look the other way on bribery and blatant corruption because someone is assertive when liying on TV, nevermind what their actual record is.

Nice jab at the blanket generalization of the Corp and EPA too. I'm sure they'll get the blame when the inevitable cost overruns happen as a result of rubber stamping projects. God forbid they know what they're talking about and would rather grant contracts to those with proven records.

I get wanting to let other contractors & the little guy into the action, but just like the Puerto Rico power grid, and now this, turning a blind eye on on corruption isn't the answer.... cue Biden lynch mob

As to the other small business generalizations:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-owners-back-president-new-survey/2303443001/

#275     Dec 4, 2019
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

Proven records?!!! These folks know what they're doing dude.

History
    [​IMG]Company Founder, Gene Fisher
    12/26/1928 - 12/17/2013

It all began on the vast prairies of southwestern North Dakota over 60 years ago. It was here that our parent company, Fisher Sand & Gravel, was born. Through the vision and leadership of company founder, Gene Fisher, what began as a small but enterprising aggregate processing company quickly emerged as a leader in portable crushing operations. Today Fisher Sand & Gravel Co. is ranked one of the top 25 sand and gravel producing companies in the United States.

By 1967 Gene recognized the need for durable, customized equipment. Thus he launched General Steel & Supply Company to design, fabricate, repair, and remodel quality aggregate processing equipment. Today General Steel operates two well-equipped metal fabrication facilities and our customized equipment is sold to countless companies throughout the United States and abroad.

In 1998, our president, Tommy Fisher, expanded operations to Arizona and the southwestern United States. The Fisher Industries portfolio currently includes concrete, asphalt, drilling, blasting, and paving services, along with selling various aggregate products, but the foundation and heartbeat of Fisher Industries has been, and will always be, mining aggregate materials. We pursue challenges and will continue to successfully tackle tough jobs.

upload_2019-12-4_9-33-45.png

#276     Dec 4, 2019
  7. smallfil

smallfil

If we did not have traitorous Democrats aiding and abetting illegals (foreigners) at every turn, we can build a cheaper border wall. Just station more border patrol guards at the border and allow them to send border crossers back like Hungary. Democrats have put laws in place to prevent sending them back. Look at Hungary.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    #277     Dec 4, 2019
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

What is "bribery and blatant corruption"? Donating money to a political campaign to help a candidate that you believe in?! Christ almighty H4.... if that's "bribery and blatant corruption"... the whole effing system needs to just shut the F down. How much does Soros give? And what about the 8000 lobbying operations in DC?
    I mean come on H4... lets be a little intelligent about this... this orange-man bad mantra at any and all costs is a little ridiculous don't-cha think?

#278     Dec 4, 2019
  9. Cuddles

Cuddles

Yes it's legalized bribery and corruption. Hell, that's one of the few things both sides agree on. And yes, I agree it needs to be shut down

#279     Dec 4, 2019
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

#280     Dec 4, 2019