The very BEST trading advice you have ever had.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Humpy, Aug 30, 2018.

1. _eug_,

I agree with that as well. Researching things on google is very misleading at times. Especially youtube.

I am starting to believe, it's best to just ignore what everyone says, trade and measure performance. If performance sucks per 50 trades, start over. Then again, and again, and again.

#21     Aug 30, 2018
  2. _eug_

_eug_

This is what I am doing... basically just trial and error. Some weeks I make money, some weeks I lose money. Some trades last for a week or two, some last for 30 minutes. Sometimes I take quick stops, sometimes ill scale in. I strongly believe that after years of doing this, it will all click.

There was a quote from one of the market wizards, I think it was by Tom Baldwin (i may be wrong) but he was saying if you stand in the pit long enough, you will figure it out. I spend on average about 10-12 hours a day in-front of the screen watching price action....

I did spend a solid 6-8 months watching youtube video's and trying to read trading "advice". It was a waste of time for sure.

#22     Aug 30, 2018
  3. I didn't get this as advice, but rather learned it the hard way. Learning how to lose is a gift that keeps on giving...you don't feel bad about a stop-out, and you take profits while they're still profits.

#23     Aug 30, 2018
  4. 777

Learn from winners.

Be around people who have been there and done that and still win.

Be around people whose behavior is better than yours and you will move in that direction.

Find mentors!

#24     Aug 30, 2018
    Craig66 likes this.
  5. heypa

heypa

If it ain't going up don't buy it.
    If it ain't going down don't sell it.

#25     Aug 30, 2018
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

Stop trading.

#26     Aug 30, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  7. don't listen to any unsolicited advice.

#27     Aug 30, 2018
  8. chart pig

chart pig

The worst vice, is advice.

#28     Aug 30, 2018
    zghorner likes this.
  9. The best advice I've had is

"Risk and reward are not the only two factors in trading... Probability is just as important"

If you enter a trade late, after it has gone the right way. Then probability is higher. So, for the same stop and target the remaining profit is lower, and the amount you stand to lose is higher since the stop is further away, but your chances of hitting the target rather than the stop are higher, and it all balances out.

This is why I believe that 1:1 R/R trades are ok. You'll win them twice as often as 1:2 R/R for the same stop and target.

#29     Aug 30, 2018
  10. comagnum

comagnum

Real good traders will always follow their rules.
    Great traders know when to break their rules.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    #30     Aug 30, 2018