The usual question: how is it possible?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by travis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Travis, I think you miss the whole point. You are winning because you DESERVE to. You are special, wonderful, chosen, destined, marked, blessed, become, smiled upon, loved, even. Just don't mess it up. If you need therapy I have a slot available Tuesdays at 4PM CT. I share your pain because I have a system than makes 2% a day.

#11     Jul 19, 2009
  2. travis

travis

"Destined" doesn't make sense to me. I am atheist. God didn't help me with programming, which was the hardest part. Who "destined" me to anything? The closest thing to God that I can see is money, and the things that helped me out: IB, Excel, my bank account, computers in general. Human progress in other words. Mankind and its progress is the closest thing to God.

Let's get back to the point. How is it possible for retail traders to make money and beat the banks? Also, do you feel guilty about making money without working for it?

I realize now that you gave me an answer. I suppose you share the same painful doubts and questions ("pain") because you've also been making money. And you're actually telling yourself the things you're telling me: "special, wonderful, chosen, destined, marked, blessed, become, smiled upon, loved, even". Sometimes I felt the same as you. But now I am a full atheist, and only believe in chaos and randomness (no purpose in life). Some of these adjectives imply that you believe in God: "blessed", "destined".

The way I was brought up (Catholic), God thinks money is bad, so if he existed he would destine me for punishment for trying to make money (on top of it without work or rather without producing anything for society). But thank God I am atheist, so I don't have to deal with this problem. But I still feel guilty, and I still cannot believe it will last.

I hope it will, and I will try to make it last. And to deal with the side effects I will come to therapy next tuesday.

#12     Jul 19, 2009
  3. quant168

quant168

A Martingale betting system always gives people a nice curve for most of time. But it has its own limitation. It is not an edge.

#13     Jul 19, 2009
  4. edbar

edbar

Thanks Travis. No offense taken.

What is nice about using an ATS is that you don't have to work at it every day. The ATS never forgets the rules, once entered. Then, as you learn more you can tweak the rules, and/or add additional rules.

I'm not a slave to the stock market. If I want to take 6 months off I can, and still be fully leveraged in the stock market, as my ATS' don't need me to do anything. IF a manually trader takes 6 months off, he's out of the market. Then when he wants to get back in, it's back to the grindstone.

Without an ATS, that follows your rules to the letter, you will have to REALLY WORK. There is no way I would waste my life manually picking stocks to trade, figuring out when to open the position, when to add to the positions, when to close the position, manually calculating profit goals and stop losses, etc.

Hang in there. You're on the right track.

Ed

#14     Jul 19, 2009
  5. travis

travis

Thanks. Also, consider that for some people like me, manual trading is impossible, because their emotions make them do the wrong things.

When I make a trade and it goes my way, I exit really quickly, because that's a "victory" to me and I want to seize it. No matter how much I trade, I keep on making the mistake of not "letting my winners run".

As for "cutting my losses", when I make a trade and it goes against me, I hang on to that trade hoping that it will turn from negative to positive. If necessary, I'll keep the position open for a month or longer, until one of these 3 things happen: 1) the future contract expires, 2) the red turns into green (then as soon as I can break even or make 1 dollar, I exit, as usual), or 3) I lose everything. That's how I lost everything twice this year. E.g.: I got home, and the system was losing 500 dollars. I got upset, and tried to make up for that loss by trading discretionary. That way, during those reckless months (now I've stopped doing it), I made a lot of discretionary trades that (sooner or later) went my way, and only 2 that NEVER went my way and blew out my account. And if I had enough money, as I said earlier, I even added to my losing position (and carry all contracts to either expiration, profit, or to blowing out the account).

Discretionary trading is not for me. I cannot make any money with it.

And the above describes my recent performance of automated + discretionary. When I traded only discretionary, from 1997 to 2007, I lost my entire capital every month, practically. Every month I lost at least 50% of my capital (but I always had a capital that ranged from 500 to a few thousand dollars).

#15     Jul 19, 2009
  6. I've been asking myself these things ever since I read "Fooled by Randomness" by Taleb. I don't recommend it if you worry too much already nor do I recommend Black Swan in that case.

#16     Jul 20, 2009
  7. Words of advice . . .

Don't feel the need to share.
    All the thugs on here that aren't consistently profitable will start stalking you and posting that you are crazy.
    By the way, I commend your persistence, progession of your goal and your attention to detail!

#17     Jul 20, 2009
  8. when is the post coming where you guys offer your wares? I am desperately waiting.

Sorry to be the ass that spoils the fun but there is no way in hell that a guy with 10 years trading experience utters doubling-up BS in the way you did. So you have found the holy grail and tell us at the same time markets cannot lose in a span of 24 hours? Are you stupid or are you just looking for guys dumber than yourself?

#18     Jul 20, 2009
  9. Things "work for a while, then they don't".... market has a way of changing gears.

Not many are adaptive enough to continue to do well after market makes a shift.

Many years of positive results necessary before proclaiming "success"..

#19     Jul 20, 2009
  10. It's started.
    Sorry.

#20     Jul 20, 2009