The USD is the buy of a lifetime: Attack on Ron Paul's soldiers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by scriabinop23, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ERIROY

ERIROY

Hey buddy! military spending going down in USA in the next decade????????......I don't know how you can think about it...
    Irak, afghanistan, Iran......open your eyes! Military expenses gonna go higher for the next few years, let say 5 more years to fix the Irak problem. Then, if you are very optimist you can expect military expenses to stabilise. Somebody have a military expenses chart of US government for the last 50 years?

#11     Mar 23, 2008
  2. dinoman

dinoman

Yes, Ron paul wants to see the abolishment of the FED, but he is not implying or saying lets just eliminate it right now. He understands that you just can't throw it in the trash instantly.

When he refers to returning to the gold standard he is talking about having competing currencies and not ones that are solely munipulated by the few. In referance to congress, the FED, the president, the senate and other influential powers that go unchecked.

Removal of fractional reserve banking? The Fed? Please define.

As far as fiscal waste you are correct. Thats why the recent Republican rule are running for the exits. I will totally agree they were total frauds for a lack of better words.

"Our currency is only as good as our politics". As sad as is it for me to say you are very correct on this statment at this time.

My issue is that your article implies that RP supporters are Goldbugs, which is far from the truth on an overall basis. I will conceed there are Goldbugs as you call it, but they are not the majority.

This is not his base though as implied in your article. There is way more depth to the people that follow the majority of his message.

I just think you fall short of analysis on that.

I do though Sir appreciate your respect and understanding of continuing/debating the issue with a highly intellectual response.

#12     Mar 23, 2008
  3. While I agree with, and appreciate much of your logic, I think you are calling a bottom a bit early...
    a short term bottom?...sure...could the USD drift higher here as prices stabilize and form a new floor? sure...
    But unless massive transformations occur within our economy, and sans massive global currency intervention in the dollar occurs, it has a long long long way to fall, as all empires currencies do...

Ron Paul followers are not necessarily traders, and so they will have awful timing, just like the next guy who closes the barn door after the horse has left...

#13     Mar 23, 2008
  4. The issue isn't gold. The issue is a government and nation that doesn't even SEE that they are BURIED in debt and need to live within their means.

You seem to forget the government has taken many dollars from us boomers over the years, and promised us social security and medicare in return. Take your debt number back to $10 billion and add the $55 billion for the unfunded promises.

Its time to face reality, the nation is bankrupt.

#14     Mar 24, 2008
  5. this chart looks to bottom at around zero...

yep, solid support at zero

#15     Mar 24, 2008
  6. amylase

amylase

This article is very well written, but got much of the economics distorted abit.

You consider the high price of other currencies and commodities as "bubble" when actually it is the process of U.S. adjusting to its new row in global economic system where it is no longer the single and only factor.

Alot emphasiz where placed on U.S. "creativity" and "innovation" etc. when we all know that most of this is just IT and other computer/internet related stuff driving th hype. Being in Silicon Valley myself which is the center of this bubble, I can tell you that this is not sustainable. 90% of tech venture capibal is on Sand Hill road here in Palo Alto, that is insane.

U.S. is no longer a producer for the world, it has become a consumer of vast quantities of commodities and products.

I could've written a paper on this in response to your article but I'm too lazy to to taht and english is my second language so of course whatever i write wont be as eloquent as yours so don't pick on my english pls.

Great Britain once dominated the world with its Pound. GBP used to be the world's reserve currency and highly valued. You should not call the world a "bubble" when it is you see price in the world go up, because it is very possible that the world is less dependent on you.

#16     Mar 24, 2008
  7. amylase

amylase

scriabinop23,

One piece of advice for you. When investing, it is very important to separate nationalist pride/sentiment/politics from business decisions. It is not worth it to waste all our wealth to fight for some arbitrary national pride.

George Soros is a ton of cash and he hates U.S. political system (bush) with conviction. He had enough cash that leveraged wisely could easily embarrase bush administration by causing financial turmoils and precipitous decline in USD. But he is wise enough to separate business from politics.

Likewise today, USD and american economy is really in a bad shape. I've been saying this since 2003, it's not like i just started this thing this morning. American economy has serious structural problems that is not likely to be solved soon. It would be wise, for your sake, to diversify into some other assets particularly Japan, Germany etc.

It is in my interest to persuade you to buy more USD so that I could sell more USD assets on rally. But i'm a honest guy:D

#17     Mar 24, 2008
  8. And is this a fact or a theory? And if a theory, what is your evidence?

In fact, there is no solid evidence. All the evidence keynesians and monetarists have for that assertion is a few distorted and incomplete history recounts and flawed econometric studies.

#18     Mar 24, 2008
  9. Exactly...

#19     Mar 24, 2008
  10. Very very interesting...But it seems everyone here missed this article.Talking about big problems of Germany's banks is so tedious!Crash of the U.S. is much more attractive...

to Pa(b)st Prime
    " Why is oil such a concern? Why not foreign cars? Or foreign wines? Or foreign electronics?"

Because oil is a weapon.Just have a look at how skillfully the tsar of my country Putin used it against the neighbors (Ukraine,Belorussia,Georgia,etc.).
    What about Venezuela and Colombia conflict?Chavez's first words:No oil supply.
    You can easily do without foreign cars,let alone wines.

Sorry about my russian english.

#20     Mar 24, 2008